Flying in usa

Reaction score
Hi.
im from norway and i am traveling to usa in a few weeks.
i want to take my p4 to take pictures and video. i am going to drive route 66 with a group of people,
so what i are wondering about is can i fly? i know i can`t fly near airports and stuff, but is it ok other places?

sorry for my bad English

Hi.
im from norway and i am traveling to usa in a few weeks.
i want to take my p4 to take pictures and video. i am going to drive route 66 with a group of people,
so what i are wondering about is can i fly? i know i can`t fly near airports and stuff, but is it ok other places?

sorry for my bad English
Many places are OK to fly, but you will need to understand the Regulations and the Airspace rules. Start here.
Taken from the FAA website:
I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?
If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.
Here is the registration website:
sUAS Registration

Many places are OK to fly, but you will need to understand the Regulations and the Airspace rules. Start here.
Taken from the FAA website:
I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?
If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.
Here is the registration website:
sUAS Registration
Depending on the timing, he may not even have to register if the recent court decision holds up!

Depending on the timing, he may not even have to register if the recent court decision holds up!
I was thinking the same thing, but included it, just in case the new ruling doesn't apply to Foreign Nationals. It's an interesting question.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the recent decision? (just read that now) how could i find out if this applies to me to?

and does anyone know how it is to bring the drone on a plane? should i take the box as hand baggage? or should i check it in ?

Last edited:
what is the recent decision? (just read that now) how could i find out if this applies to me to?

and does anyone know how it is to bring the drone on a plane? should i take the box as hand baggage? or should i check it in ?
I would begin with the link I gave you, above. As far as bringing the drone on an airliner, I would contact your airline for specifics.

People travel with drones every day and the airport security people won't even look twice when they see it's distinctive shape on the Xray scanner.
Do not put batteries in your checked luggage.
Go to your airline's website and search for batteries or lithium to see their policy on the batteries.

People travel with drones every day and the airport security people won't even look twice when they see it's distinctive shape on the Xray scanner.
Do not put batteries in your checked luggage.
Go to your airline's website and search for batteries or lithium to see their policy on the batteries.

You would expect airport security to be familiar with them, but on a recent flight out of LHR back to the US they were very disturbed by my Mavic on the x-ray images. Not quite as distinctive a shape as a Phantom, of course.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20