Flying in the wind

Reaction score
Today is the first day I've taken my P2 flying on a windy day, and I was very impressed with how well it coped. According to the weather forecast there's a 20mph wind, with gusts of up to 32mph, but the Phantom held its position extremely well. It was rocking around pretty violently in the wind, but the video was rock steady - the H3-3D gimbal was really showing how effective it can be.

Just as an experiment I switched to ATTI mode, and the P2 was instantly blown half way across the field I was flying in. Needless to say, I rapidly switched back to GPS mode :).

I didn't want to risk landing in that wind, so I hand caught it.

Yes, I kept my height to about 10m for that reason, so I was below the height of the trees that sheltered the field.

Bear in mind the P2 manual says not to fly in "Beaufort 4" or higher (13mph+ wind).

You are on your own >13mph. Just so you are aware :)

If you happen to be flying FPV and have an OSD then it's a good idea to hover in GPS mode to see what kind of attitude the Phantom is at while trying to hold itself steady against the wind - that's really the only way to get a good feeling for winds aloft. If you have the newer firmware then you are limited to 15 degrees attitude in GPS. That means that if the Phantom is close to 10 degrees just trying to keep still then you'll be very limited in speed going upwind. In ATTI mode you can go faster but then that's a challenge in the wind.

SJBrit said:
If you happen to be flying FPV and have an OSD then it's a good idea to hover in GPS mode to see what kind of attitude the Phantom is at while trying to hold itself steady against the wind - that's really the only way to get a good feeling for winds aloft. If you have the newer firmware then you are limited to 15 degrees attitude in GPS. That means that if the Phantom is close to 10 degrees just trying to keep still then you'll be very limited in speed going upwind. In ATTI mode you can go faster but then that's a challenge in the wind.

Thank you - that's a very useful tip. Yes, I do fly with an FPV monitor, so I'll be sure to look at it and see what the pitch angle is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers