Flying in the Summer heat

Reaction score
I am in California for work and for a graduation ceremony. I brought my P3A, but the weather forecast for while I am here includes a couple of 100 degree days. That's hotter than I am used to back home in New York.

I am using an IPAD MINI 2, but I have read in the past that it doesn't work well for flying when it's hot outside.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate the risk of my IPAD shutting down while I am flying? I mean other than the obvious like find shade and remove the case.

With the hot and muggy summer months just ahead, hopefully I can find ways to stay in the air without needing to buy a new tablet just yet.

I used to have the same problem with my mini 2 until I took it out of the case. As you mentioned keeping it in the shade works too, but in a pinch put it in the car's a/c for a few minutes between flights, or use the refreezable soft packs on the iPad until some of the heat dissipates. Those freeze packs work well for me if no a/c is close by. Hope this helps.

Reactions: JoBe
I used to have the same problem with my mini 2 until I took it out of the case. As you mentioned keeping it in the shade works too, but in a pinch put it in the car's a/c for a few minutes between flights, or use the refreezable soft packs on the iPad until some of the heat dissipates. Those freeze packs work well for me if no a/c is close by. Hope this helps.
Thanks. Did you use the ice packs while flying or only as a cool down option? Just wondering if I can mount the ice pack and the IPAD in the holder at the same time. Also, I'm wondering if that ice pack gel could act as a heat sink once it loses its cool so to speak. Maybe just enough to avoid overheating anyway.

Only as a cool down option. I guess I could somehow attach it to the iPad on the glare shield, but by the time it starts getting warm, I'm out of aircraft battery anyway.

Only as a cool down option. I guess I could somehow attach it to the iPad on the glare shield, but by the time it starts getting warm, I'm out of aircraft battery anyway.
Oh I see what you mean. Once the IPAD starts to near overheating you have already finished a flight so the IPAD has time to cool down. Got it. Maybe then I can just bring a small cooler with ice packs or the A/C as you said before. Thanks.

Sit inside or in your car with the air conditioner on and fly.
I bought some magnet antenna bases. Attached some Alfa antennas to them, put them on the roof of my car and sit in the passengers seat and fly listening to the radio in the air conditioning. I can also set the antennas outside my window and fly from inside the house.
magnetic antenna mounts for my car

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj