Flying in the rain

Reaction score
Hey y'all!! New drone flyer here. Someone told me that you can fly phantom3 pro in the rain because a the prop wash causes a positive pressure in the hull of the aircraft which in turn precludes water, dust,etc from getting in the hull. Is this true?thanks for any/all help.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

only if you want it to break what dummy told you that no isn't rainproof

Reactions: NormanNormal
Ok. That's what I thought. This person told me this back in the winter when it was snowing. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

let them fly theirs and brake it but keep you bird safe

I have heard you even have to be careful about how deep of a fog you fly into. Water can weasel its way in. I wouldn't do it.

Several people have been caught by rain and made it home safe so if you accidentally get caught in the rain just stay calm and bring your bird back.

But, like flpholt already said, they weren't designed to fly in rain so try to avoid it at all times. It's better to lose some flying time to approaching rain than your phantom to actual rain

They are definitely NOT designed as rain proof.

Reactions: NormanNormal
I don't know if it's true or not but I heard that if the inside gets wet, they can tell because of something like a sticker or something else that lets them know if it's been in the rain and voids your warranty. So I wouldn't risk it.

I don't know if it's true or not but I heard that if the inside gets wet, they can tell because of something like a sticker or something else that lets them know if it's been in the rain and voids your warranty. So I wouldn't risk it.

Sounds legit. That's how phones work.

There was a video on here at one time of someone flying in a hard rain. But you won't be doing it with mine. I would think the life span would be shortened.

Found it. Might not be a p3.

Have to say I don't recall a single report of someone getting caught in rain and disaster following.
Really someone ought to try this with an old or partly broke phantom (e.g.damaged camera) and see how it copes.
The motors are unlikely to be much bothered though performance may decline if they are really wet.
It's the internal circuitry which is going to be behave unpredictably.

I can vouch for that. There is an internal tab which stains when in contact with moisture. I recently had my gimbal/camera serviced and was told that there was evidence of moisture inside my quad based on the discoloration of this tab. It wasn't bad and they felt that it was probably because of taking off from damp grass. I was also told that this might cause warranty claims to be repudiated.

Here in Texas where we have 110% humidity those stickers are not reliable. I have had many cell phones that where not reparable because of water damage ,and never got them wet.

There was a video on here at one time of someone flying in a hard rain. But you won't be doing it with mine. I would think the life span would be shortened.

Found it. Might not be a p3.
A: It is obviously not a phantom 3. B: if you READ the description of the video: "DSLRPros has partnered with Liquipel to build a rain safe drone not available anywhere else on the market".

Reactions: Phantom-Four
I got caught in the rain about 2.5 miles out at 400 feet !!!
first thing i saw was drops on the camera lens .off course i turned around instantly ,was longest 6mins ever lol but drone was ok.,didnt look that wet tbh,maybe props saved most of the water getting to quad i dunno.
took it home and left it in a warm room over night.
ive flown it about 20 times since then with no issues

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl