Flying in the Rain

This is a horrible idea since rain could easily enter in through the vents on the arms or the motors.

Yep. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried. Maybe taping up the vents. It's raining, thought I'd ask!

You should surely add this to the list of things to never do with your Phantom.

Yea Kind of figured as much. just thought I'd throw it out there

Quick way to short out the exposed motor coils. That goes for snow, too.

I flew in the rain last week. Got caught off guard. The Phantom did ok in so far as I was able to get it home safely, but I got all sorts of warnings along the way in the DJI app. First it reported something about a compass error. Then something about a battery cell being bad, then a gimbal error. And that was just a mild drizzle.

Once I landed it, I pulled the battery and took it inside. I left it over a heating vent for a few hours, tipping and rotating it to allow the hot air to circulate through in different ways. I was too lazy to open it up, but it seems to have worked. The next day, after a compass calibration or two (or three), everything worked just fine, including the suspect battery.

I think I was lucky. I would definitely not recommend flying in the rain.

MapMaker53 said:
Quick way to short out the exposed motor coils. That goes for snow, too.
I don't think the motors would be harmed actually, but still would not fly it in rain.
In patchy fog mine has come back surprisingly wet.
You don't need panic about a few spots.
If there's a chance damp got inside don't pack it in the case and forget it but let things dry out first.

4wd said:
I don't think the motors would be harmed actually, but still would not fly it in rain.
+1. The motor windings are coated and won't short from a bit of rain or snow.
The ESCs on the other hand won't like too much moisture sneaking in through the vents and the motor bearings might suffer if they're lacking in lube.
Not worth pushing your luck really.

Why don't you look up my screen name on the ST encylopedia. Really, HOW?

If you're asking how they work, its by creating a surface that doesn't allow other material to grab onto it. From there the surface tension of the applied material causes it to "bead" up. That reduces the contact area to the point where the friction between the materials is so low that the "stuff" runs off.

Then you have to ask how things stick together. They stick together either ionically, mechanically, chemically.. These coatings resist those attachment methods.

Luckily the mass of the stuff they were testing was low enough to not stick together gravitationally. These coatings won't stop that. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost