Flying in the rain

Reaction score
I've just been flying and got caught in an absolute cloudburst, with my P2 several hundred metres away from me at the time. By the time it landed it was absolutely dripping wet. It's not likely to have suffered any harm from the experience, is it? Obviously I've towelled it down, and will leave it standing in a warm room to thoroughly dry out. In the video I can see the torrential rain - looks quite spectacular!

Several people have survived rain but if water got into the gimbal main board through the holes at the front (where the grey cables enter), it can be bad.
I had to replace a camera and gimbal because something fried on the controller board with rain dribbling in..

A few spots probably won't hurt, but once it's raining enough that drips and spray can get inside, the circuit boards could possibly short out.
That might only be a temporary, but voltage going to various components the wrong way could do some damage.
Even a temporary short could result in loss of control.
So... best avoided.

4wd said:
A few spots probably won't hurt, but once it's raining enough that drips and spray can get inside, the circuit boards could possibly short out.
That might only be a temporary, but voltage going to various components the wrong way could do some damage.
Even a temporary short could result in loss of control.
So... best avoided.

It wasn't intentional, I assure you :). A cloudy but fine day, and a big black raincloud sneaked up on me from behind.

I'll leave my P2 to thoroughly dry out before I try powering it up again.

I had that happen once when out flying and black clouds and rain along with wind just came out of no ware. and I was still about 3 minutes away when it started to rain and brought it in and landed it asap tho the wind that whipped up made it seem to take for ever for it to get back home. But it was still covered with rain when I got it down and on the ground. Tho just in the nick of time cause as soon as I picked it up and went in side the skys opened up and it rained cats and dogs for a big.

I might even open it up and make sure the components are dry before you fly it again.

As you can imagine, if a short were to occur while you're in the air, you're SOL... your Phantom is going to fall from the sky. So flying while it's raining (with the possibility of the water getting into the shell and causing that short) is pretty foolhardy.

That might even be a situation where I would just bring it down immediately wherever she is and not even spend the time trying to get her back to me. Much better to have to spend a little time hunting for it, and drying it out, then to have to spend a lot more time and money trying to repair her after she's shorted and fallen from 200' up.

I dried it out thoroughly this afternoon, flew it again this evening, and everything's fine, so no harm done. I'll make sure I keep a better eye out on the weather - I was concentrating so hard on my flying that I let that cloud just sneak up on me.

ProfessorStein said:
I might even open it up and make sure the components are dry before you fly it again.

As you can imagine, if a short were to occur while you're in the air, you're SOL... your Phantom is going to fall from the sky. So flying while it's raining (with the possibility of the water getting into the shell and causing that short) is pretty foolhardy.

That might even be a situation where I would just bring it down immediately wherever she is and not even spend the time trying to get her back to me. Much better to have to spend a little time hunting for it, and drying it out, then to have to spend a lot more time and money trying to repair her after she's shorted and fallen from 200' up.

Makes sense. Another alternative would be to bring it in at low altitude. Might have less time out in the rain.

I've had two water crashes with P2 and after opening up and using compressed air especially at plug connections, top and bottom of battery circuit board, only the gopro battery was lost on the first event and camera failed after second time. Its pretty robust against moisture, its just rain could cause a short. The circuit boards seem to have a light coating of something over components. I have a spray on water proofing for circuit boards, but had some problems with it when I did one of the battery circuit boards so decided not to use on P2 based on my luck so far. Salt water would be more of a problem.

I had a similar thing happen where there it landed upside down in a small pool of water. My battery got wet (water dripped from it).

I have been afraid to even recharge the battery, thinking actually might catch fire or explode. Am I wrong? Is there an "autosafe" process with the battery?

I had that to, dry the battery really good.
After 3 weeks waiting it works again :D
Then you can use it :cool:
I have used it 5 times until now and no problem at all.

Just an update - I have tried to charge my battery since its little water immersion experience. No luck. The lights don't even flicker. It's totally dead.

I think I killed it.

HarryT said:
I dried it out thoroughly this afternoon, flew it again this evening, and everything's fine, so no harm done. I'll make sure I keep a better eye out on the weather - I was concentrating so hard on my flying that I let that cloud just sneak up on me.

If you have an idevice, I highly recommend an app called "Dark Sky". It may also be available on android, I just don't know. It uses extremely localized weather stations to notify you of nearby systems. It tells you how far away any small systems are, and it alerts should rain or drizzle start to fall, and how many minutes away this rain is. It's shortened several of my flights, and saved me from your scenario. It does cost a few dollars, but it really is the best hyper local weather app I have seen.

Go to your nearest RV outlet and buy a container of desiccant and a container to use it in. Remove your battery and place all in a sealed plastic container for a week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav