Flying in the heat

Seems there are a lot of Ipad overheating problems! Good old Apple.......
Really? that's interesting my air 2 never gets hot. My shield gets hot every time I use it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's like putting a baby out in the hot sun at those temperatures with no shade or sunscreen! The Drone Protective Services unit will arrest you for drone abuse! :p Might even void your warranty, too, if anything bad happened. :eek:

Lol. I know I felt bad. But it was my dumb cousin who left it in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lol. I know I felt bad. But it was my dumb cousin who left it in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
During an insane desert golf outing 5 years ago, I had an Igloo Playmate cooler deform, while left behind in a car in the sun, as the outside air temperature reached 121°F, setting a 100 year temperature record! I can only imagine what that kind of heat would do to a styrofoam case encapsulating a P3 or P4, and the electronics inside! "P3 soup, anyone...?" :eek:

Last edited:
I can only fly at night now.... Getting warmer by the day. I try not to let my batteries get over 45C.... (113F)

My iPad over heats and becomes very laggy... But I have my head plays as backup and still crystal clear with no lag at all.

Reactions: Darmie
very interesting. i would think all the air that the prop is throwing downward would cool the motor in the process.

Quick question to the experienced flyers out there... The next few days at my flying locations the heat temperatures can soar between 100 - 118 (SF Valley - Palm Springs). Is it safe to fly in these conditions? Temps in these locations (especially Palm Springs) could be triple digits even with the sun down.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app
Manual says you shouldn't fly in over 110-degree weather so I wouldn't risk even 100.
-PB

DO NOT FLY IF TEMPS OVER 95 degrees (.) period. 1st it destroys your drones battery ability to hold a full charge, 2nd It destroys your tablets battery, 3rd you could loose communication with the drone because of over heated circuits in the drone and controller, 4th flight characteristics are affected, 5th its not recommended by any manufacturer or the FAA. I'm an instructor at the Unmanned Aerial University. www.uxvuniversity.com and along with staying out of fog and away from clouds we instruct people not to fly in extreme heat (95 degrees)

My iPad 2 overheated yesterday during a flight while I was setting waypoints. Those things are just big solar absorbers out in the sun and if you get absorbed in what you are doing, it will come as quite a surprise when it says "overheated - cool it down and use later". My bird was close so I just flew it back with no incidents, then used my Android phone for the remaining flights. Gotta have a Plan-B.

I always protect myself from the sun here in the desert. And it helps to ensure you don't attract any attention while flying...
e645fbe95ba3a852e91aff57d5af9c0c.jpg

I always protect myself from the sun here in the desert. And it helps to ensure you don't attract any attention while flying...
View attachment 58467
I find that a black cloth over the head and tablet keeps the screen well shaded, and attracts a little less attention than full camo gear. You can add a golf umbrella to look normal from above, while they are frantically searching by helicopter for the pilot in command! ;)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl