Flying in sub zero

Reaction score
Will be flying in minus celsius temperature for the first time this weekend. Not much, around -2 day, night -17.
The place is a hotel. With mountains around it.

What are the things i should consider?

Here is what i know:

- after take off wait until battery temperature hits 25c and then start flying.
- keeping batteries in warm before the flight. Wont be an issue since i will be taking off from a parking lot of a hotel. So they will still be warm.
- compass calibration since the place is pretty far away

Anything else besides gloves and hat? :)

Hey guys flew in 40 degrees before no issues you should be fine . Wind is your greatest enemy here due to higher altitude. But it should be fine just keep your battery's warm and have fun

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just flew in some -2C weather no problems. Definitely keep the batteries warm until you insert them. I wouldn't recommend doing a compass calibration unless the app tells you there is a problem. Just being some distance from you 'home' location doesn't mean you need a compass cal.

Yes but not all of them have main bulletpoints sorted out.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you are serious about the flying in the cold weather, then close off all air vents. Use tape or maybe an old decal to get you by. Doing this is very beneficial.

1-keep batteries inside jacket pocket, you have no idea how warm they actually keep the battery toasty

2- do a 10 minute flight near you so you can judge the battery percentage on how fast it goes down

3- repeat it again and look at the battery voltage to see how it copes with the way you fly

4- get to know the area first, Google map it and learn it, should your bird go down, you will have a plan on how to get to it

5- ask hotel owners for any ideal spots to fly

6- practice in beginner mode, you may be a pro flyer, but your a newbie in a new area. Play it safe to start with

7-start of with full batteries

Neon Euc

Reactions: t2adze
Here are some unedited materials from this flights, i had :)
DJI_0309.JPG DJI_0310.JPG DJI_0311.JPG DJI_0312.JPG DJI_0313.JPG DJI_0314.JPG DJI_0315.JPG DJI_0316.JPG DJI_0317.JPG DJI_0318.JPG

Reactions: t2adze

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj