flying in sport mode and clipped a tree top

Reaction score
Was showing someone how fast it flew in sport mode and I thought I was high enough when I flew by. Guess I was not. It busted through the tree top and fell about 20 feet but did not crash. I see it hovering at about 10 foot off the ground !!
Did not damage the camera or props. Some battle scratches and green marks from the leaves it chewed up. But made it through like a champ. I continued to fly with no more issues or screw ups.
What I learned is when you think your high enough go higher and dont talk to people when your flying.
I was lucky this time. Have been flying over a year and this is the first close call I have ever had. WHEWWWWWW. to close for comfort!!!!!!

Last edited:
I always keep a safe height by ensuring that I see sky between tree and phantom. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

video was off. I flew down a fairway and was probably up 60 or 70 feet. I came back and was going to do a fly over fly by. Problem was I was on the t box and should have figured it out that the fairway was about a 30 foot dropin elevation so when I came back I was at that 30 foot height

Wow, glad you made it through unscathed. Yes a video would have been awesome, seems like the video is never rolling when we need it to.

I was flying the P3 awhile back and was in panic mode due to low battery. Lost situational awareness and when I looked at the video afterwards--holy crap was I lucky.

I was flying the P3 awhile back and was in panic mode due to low battery. Lost situational awareness and when I looked at the video afterwards--holy crap was I lucky.

Lol well played!

But flying backwards while heading home?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Generally speaking could be useful to have an option in GO app to enable auto video recording when;
. In flight (some forget to start recording including me)
. Login if abnormal flight conditions and complementary to flights logs (could be based on flight data parameters: cnx lost, spinning, sudden movement without user input, etc) *

* can't always rely on video feed back log recording within idevice/Droid as this option can be disabled by user or inefective if connection lost.

Last edited:
I always look for the tallest trees around and then I fly close to it and fly vertically til I see the very top of the tree and I know from that measurement to be stay clear of that height by at least 20 feet to be comfortable. And from using sport mode, reaction is everything. Small movements are huge especially turns. I have had close calls landing in my yard because it's surrounded by trees and I panicked while in sport mode. Now I always get out of sport before landing and around obstacles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4