Flying in snowy mountains below 0ºC

Reaction score
Hi,

As winter is coming in Norway, I would like to fly the bird on the top of snowy mountains. Do anyone have experience in operating the drone in cold weather? How cold is too cold? Does it cope with wind the same way?

The bird would be stored in the DJI Backpack while hiking.

Thanks.

That's soothing to hear. The temperatures I'll be operating with are closer to -10c though.
there was a dude that took his phantom 3 pro to the Antarctic lovund
so if it can fly there you wont have a problem I flew my old
phantom fc40 in -10c no problems :) and my phantom 3 will be out in that temp as well :cool:

Reactions: Lovund
I know motors perform better at low temperatures though battery performance degrades. I feel overall performance will be the same if not better cause batteries get heated up pretty fast.

Someone who has tried it at sub zero temperatures should publish these numbers.

I've flown in 32F temp and aside from the IMU needing to warm up for a minute or so, no problems at all. Well, my hands were freezing cold without gloves.

Aircraft cold = Not so bad electronic wise
Aircraft cold = structurally not great. The plastic will be extra brittle once it's cold

Batteries cold = Not so good. I keep mine in a cooler with a hand warmer when cold weather flying. I like my batteries to be 50deg + before they are fired up. Once in use they will warm up nicely on their own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers