Flying in snowy conditions?

Reaction score
Has anyone flown in light snow? It is lightly coming down still after a decent snow storm here. The scenery is outstanding right now and I want to capture it from the air!

Moisture + electronics = :shock:

And the worst member of this site found his way onto my thread!

I was leaning towards not flying I just didn't know if anyone had tried and been successful routinely.

take no notice of the arsehole, perfectly reasonable question, i would be tempted too , if its very light, but it is a bit risky, plus you will prob just get water droplets on your lens

MadnessFPV said:
shortyuk said:
take no notice of the arsehole, perfectly reasonable question, i would be tempted too , if its very light, but it is a bit risky, plus you will prob just get water droplets on your lens

It's dangerous, you're likely to hurt yourself or someone else. Don't do it.
ok thats fine, you might have alot more experience than other members, to suggest someone is a moron is a bit over the top, who knows maybe you asked a couple of questions when you started out that some might say were moranic ??

shortyuk said:
MadnessFPV said:
shortyuk said:

It's dangerous, you're likely to hurt yourself or someone else. Don't do it.
ok thats fine, you might have alot more experience than other members, to suggest someone is a moron is a bit over the top, who knows maybe you asked a couple of questions when you started out that some might say were moranic ??

MadnessFPV has made it to my "foe" list.... More commonly referred to as the Di#%head list.

I know, there always has to be one... Being from Minnesota - YES we fly in snow. Usually just the light stuff, the wet heavy stuff NO.
Let the flaming begin...

MadnessFPV is a pathetic loser. I blocked him long ago. He's an idiot and loves to criticize and never contributes anything worthwhile. He's probably some broke lower who can't even afford and Phantom but likes to lurk on random forums. Don't take anything he says seriously, no one else does.

Your question was perfectly reasonable. It would probably be fine but I wouldn't mix water with electronics just to be safe. I actually flew mine in some fog one day and when I came back the Phantom was soaked from the humidity. I was a little concerned but had no issues. Still, I wouldn't risk it.

EMCSQUAR said:
I know, there always has to be one... Being from Minnesota - YES we fly in snow. Usually just the light stuff, the wet heavy stuff NO.
Let the flaming begin...

I ended up flying with light blowing snow. Tried to keep it high enough to keep it out of the thicker gusts. The P2V flew very well and I didn't have any issues with the flight or the camera.

I also picked up these gloves that are designed for use with smartphones. They work great. No more frigid fingers!

tfiset said:
EMCSQUAR said:
Let the flaming begin...

I ended up flying with light blowing snow. Tried to keep it high enough to keep it out of the thicker gusts. The P2V flew very well and I didn't have any issues with the flight or the camera.

I also picked up these gloves that are designed for use with smartphones. They work great. No more frigid fingers!

Very cool. I'm disappointed I don't have mine to film the aftermath of this snow storm!

I flew in (what started as) light snow and became heavier snow- but it was pretty dry. Couple of interesting things:

The snow actually collected a little on the top center of the phantom (hard to believe with the air flow)
The video was awesome- the sky was filled with sparkling snow flakes
I told myself I'd never do that again when I landed- fearing the worst from the potential moisture entry through the ubiquitous vents

That was a couple of weeks ago, no one was hurt, no apparent damage or residual physical effects. I'd still probably avoid flying in moist air conditions.

I'm not saying not to- because it was pretty dang cool. But.... :roll:

coloradosky said:
I flew in (what started as) light snow and became heavier snow- but it was pretty dry. Couple of interesting things:

The snow actually collected a little on the top center of the phantom (hard to believe with the air flow)
The video was awesome- the sky was filled with sparkling snow flakes
I told myself I'd never do that again when I landed- fearing the worst from the potential moisture entry through the ubiquitous vents

That was a couple of weeks ago, no one was hurt, no apparent damage or residual physical effects. I'd still probably avoid flying in moist air conditions.

I'm not saying not to- because it was pretty dang cool. But.... :roll:

Pics or video?!?

Sensible or not, I have flown many, many times in snow. I do get somewhat of an accumulation on the top, but no issues. Here is a link to a uneventful panorama in the snow that I took a while back, but it will give you a sense of the snow. I was out for a total of around 20 minutes on this flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOCHWRxiNng

I am still incredibly impressed with the resiliency of this little guy.

I've flown mine a few times at -20c with no issues battery doesn't last as long though.

Sent from my S4

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31