Flying in San Diego Questions

Reaction score
I have a trip planned to San Diego and am staying at a hotel on Pacific Beach. I have done a lot of googling as to the laws and find nothing. Airmaps show the location of the hotel is not in a no fly zone. So, my question is, is it legal to fly in that area along the beach? Is it ethical, and/or will I have everyone PO'ed at me?

Any help from flyers in the area will be appreciated.

Ronbo

It's 100% legal. In fact San diego recently arrested a man who threw a shirt at a drone flying on the beach. While flying is legal, just don't be a jerk obviously :)

It's 100% legal. In fact San diego recently arrested a man who threw a shirt at a drone flying on the beach. While flying is legal, just don't be a jerk obviously :)

Thanks for your input. Be assured, I am a consciousness flyer (that is why I check first) that tries to promote the hobby. In fact, I recently had a good experience promoting it with the US Army Corp of Engineers. By Airmaps it looks like there is very little beach in the SD area that is legal to fly.

Watch out for the infamous fisherman who deliberately cast his line over an Inspire 1 flying around the end of Crystal Pier about 3 months ago. It made the national news!:eek:

When I searched the topic before, I did not see the following statement;

"SEC. 41.130. WALKWAYS, BICYCLES AND MOTORIZED TOYS.
No person shall engage in any of the following conduct in a County park:
(a) Obstruct the free travel of pedestrians on any trail, walkway or roadway.
(b) Ride or use a bicycle, non-motorized scooter, skateboard, inline skates or other similar wheeled device except in areas designated for its use.
(c) Use or operate any motorized model plane, model boat or model vehicle except in an area specifically designated by the Parks Department for that use."

#7 barefootbeachcombing, Feb 22, 2015

This seems to straight out say it is illegal in county parks. Is Pacific Beach a county parks? Do people fly drones on Pacific Beach by the pier?

The P3P is not a plane or a vehicle or a toy (it's a quadcopter), and the section says nothing about flyovers which they cannot prevent, and Pacific Beach is in the City of San Diego, not the County of SanDiego, and it is not a park, but a beach! Fly wherever you want, within reason, and Crystal Pier is a popular tourist attraction. Just don't get hooked or autoland in the ocean!

Again, thanks for the info and clarification. Look forward to flying in the area.

Unfortunately, after spending a night in jail, no charges were filed against the nefarious shirt thrower! o_O

... but don't you think that someone flying close enough to someone that they could throw a shirt at the drone and hit it, gets what they deserve??? As mirrorimage says "Don't be a jerk".

My philosophy is fly legally... and even if it is legal, respect the wishes of others. Promote the hobby of drone flying. I am sure you feel the same.

... but don't you think that someone flying close enough to someone that they could throw a shirt at the drone and hit it, gets what they deserve??? As mirrorimage says "Don't be a jerk".

My philosophy is fly legally... and even if it is legal, respect the wishes of others. Promote the hobby of drone flying. I am sure you feel the same.
Indeed, but it is still crashing an aircraft, whether you like their flying or not. Pilot was still being a jerk, admittedly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl