Flying in restricted zones

Reaction score
Guys has anyone tried to take off in a restricted zone?

The reason I am asking is because currently I am in a small island of Gozo and on this island there is a small disused heliport. It haven't been used for over 10 years. Today I went to do a flight in a beautiful beach in between cliffs and as soon as I started the app I realised that I was on the edge of the restricted zone for this disused heliport. I got a pop up message saying you are in a no fly zone and I dismissed the message by clicking "x"

I started up the drone and the motors but I did not fly as I was not sure what would happen (didn't want to crash it).

So my question is:

Would the bird have flown if I tried to take off? My understanding was that it would not even start up the motors in a restricted zone.

any comments / experiences appreciated.

I flew in the maldives recently and from my beach i can see the airport across the sea. When i started my app it also told me i was in a restricted area. But it also said fly carefully. I managed to still fly as per normal and recorded a whole video of the resort i was in. Of course, i flew carefully and in a responsible manner.

I live by a airport and the restriction zone go right through my front yard. I cannot start p3 in no fly zone( back and part of front yard). Rest of yard in restricted zone and I can start and fly from there.

I live by a airport and the restriction zone go right through my front yard. I cannot start p3 in no fly zone( back and part of front yard). Rest of yard in restricted zone and I can start and fly from there.
John1 so are u saying that you cannot even arm the motors at some areas in ur yard? The reason I'm asking is because my motors armed perfectly fine. I think I did the right thing to not even takeoff cause the last thing I wanted was for the bird to decide that it's to high in a (fake) restricted zone and decide to land in sea water

Gozo (Malta) doesn't have a no-fly zone according to DJI's website.
well I'm not sure what it shows on the website but on the pilot app I can tell you for sure that this heliport had a red zone around it and i happen to be in it :(

well I'm not sure what it shows on the website but on the pilot app I can tell you for sure that this heliport had a red zone around it and i happen to be in it :(

You're right. The map on the website does not show the same NFZ as DJI Go app. Isn't that strange???
I know of one other major airport thats a NFZ, but not on the webpage.

Would the bird have flown if I tried to take off? My understanding was that it would not even start up the motors in a restricted zone.
any comments / experiences appreciated.
Sometimes you have to go to the manual to get the information you need.
i-MPnN4Rb-XL.jpg

Sometimes you have to go to the manual to get the information you need.
i-MPnN4Rb-XL.jpg
I'm as paranoid of big brother as ANYONE, but from what I've seen when I've looked actual RESTRICTED ZONES are VERY close to the applicable airport. Other than a low back yard jaunt, I don't think you'd want to be there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31