Flying in public areas

Reaction score
I realize the obvious of FAA rules and no fly zones, privacy and public events without proper permission, but what have you photographed or video without concern of violations. I plan to do most flying & photography around the Ca. Beach areas (central coast region). What about overhead of piers, surfers, whales, commercial boat fishing, etc. your experiences and advice are appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: ebf
I personally would not worry about it.... but use common sense, not too close, not overhead of people, and if you stumble upon a nude beach there will be complaints! ;-)

I think you have to treat it like any camera at the beach... somebody snapping family beach photos OK, somebody with 600mm zoom lens taking "hobby" photos, probably not OK

I'm not a lawyer but when you go out into public I think you assume the risk that you may be photographed, video taped etc. I think privacy laws are geared more toward personal/private property and what is reasonable.....

I will say that I used to use Google street view as an example, but you see that they blur faces and license plate numbers, probably just to be safe, but you can still see every other detail of your front yard.

Do yourself a favor and wear your faa registration on a lanyard around your neck, easily viewable and presentable. Most people can't tell you what FAA stands for but they're all big shots about asking if your drone is registered. Local law enforcement may want to see it too. Have it available to produce and if you aren't registered, do so before you fly in areas where you'll be approached by the public. Then, be smart about where and how you fly and just fly, man.

The FAA with there rules are very open to fixed wing pilots and helicopter pilots deviating from altitude restrictions and such...but with any violation it is on the pilot in command to demonstrate that the deviation did not endanger people or property. Just always keep in mind if your quad fell from the sky would it land on a person or property. They just want you to fly safe and keep those things in mind....right now that is.

Personally, I carry the US Code stating that the US Govt regulates airspace and that only the FAA is allowed to create and enforce these regulations. I _always_ launch, control and land from public areas. I try to stay far enough away from people when launching and landing and quickly climb to 150-200' after launching so most people don't know I'm flying. Of course, being away from anyone is even better. To be honest, I also try to "ninja fly". That is, I'm up and around and then down and packed up before anyone even knows I'm there. Hit and run flying. If someone approaches I say hello in a friendly manner and answer any questions that they might have.

Reactions: PJ Orlando
Who's feeding what fear? I'm not thrilled I had to register, especially considering I'm an AMA member. I have these available if needed,that's all.

And btw, who among us with people in our lives who know we fly drones wasn't asked by at least one or more of those people, is your drone registered, like they know something important. That's become the first question people ask now, replacing the long standing popular 'how high does that thing go?' If it's local security personnel or law enforcement, you'll need to take that more seriously because they sure will. It's an easy step to take to be able to show the registration and it'll likely shut up the average know it all and show that you're on top of such things to the people who it'll matter more to, such as law enforcement. It can make all the difference.

Reactions: BigAl07
Personally, I carry the US Code stating that the US Govt regulates airspace and that only the FAA is allowed to create and enforce these regulations. I _always_ launch, control and land from public areas. I try to stay far enough away from people when launching and landing and quickly climb to 150-200' after launching so most people don't know I'm flying. Of course, being away from anyone is even better. To be honest, I also try to "ninja fly". That is, I'm up and around and then down and packed up before anyone even knows I'm there. Hit and run flying. If someone approaches I say hello in a friendly manner and answer any questions that they might have.

Easy as that. West Hollywood or any city needs to realize that rightly so the FED owns the airspace. I'm a libertarian who believes in state rights but the constitution and the courts have clearly shown the federal government's claim over airspace. Interstate commerce clause. Although I despise my fellow citizens looking at the feds as the supreme ruler of the land...the federal agency I respect the most is the FAA. Why? Because it is the only agency since I earned my pilot license that never contacted me again. It is an agency made up of smarter than average people. Most of them pilots I suspect.

It is illegal to go within 300 feet of a whale in the US unless you have a federal permit or the whale comes to you. Even whale watching boats have to obey this. I know it is tempting, but please try to leave wildlife alone. They have enough stress without people, cars, boats, and drones harassing them. Have fun and try to restrain yourself, I admit it isn't easy, there are lots of shots I would love to have. But ya know, if I get a National Geographic quality shot, after the excitement of the moment is gone, I often find it wasn't worth the stress I may have caused and it often isn't as good as I thought it would be.

If you must respond, try to keep it civil, I'm talking from my heart, just trying to make you think. I am not trying to argue. I think about all the accidents that are caused by people thinking something is funny or cool. I guess I am showing my age.

peace,

Reactions: Sagebrush
Easy as that. West Hollywood or any city needs to realize that rightly so the FED owns the airspace. I'm a libertarian who believes in state rights but the constitution and the courts have clearly shown the federal government's claim over airspace. Interstate commerce clause. Although I despise my fellow citizens looking at the feds as the supreme ruler of the land...the federal agency I respect the most is the FAA. Why? Because it is the only agency since I earned my pilot license that never contacted me again. It is an agency made up of smarter than average people. Most of them pilots I suspect.
You might get a number of people who don't agree with your thoughts on the faa. Let's hope that within that agency and rather soon, smarter, more common sense minds prevail when it comes to sUAS rules for allowing those who've been patiently waiting to comply and move forward with making income.

It is illegal to go within 300 feet of a whale in the US unless you have a federal permit or the whale comes to you. Even whale watching boats have to obey this. I know it is tempting, but please try to leave wildlife alone. They have enough stress without people, cars, boats, and drones harassing them. Have fun and try to restrain yourself, I admit it isn't easy, there are lots of shots I would love to have. But ya know, if I get a National Geographic quality shot, after the excitement of the moment is gone, I often find it wasn't worth the stress I may have caused and it often isn't as good as I thought it would be.

If you must respond, try to keep it civil, I'm talking from my heart, just trying to make you think. I am not trying to argue. I think about all the accidents that are caused by people thinking something is funny or cool. I guess I am showing my age.

peace,

Actual federal law protects such wildlife from being taken. Taken meaning harassed, killed or captured. You would have to violate the terms under the harassment clause which stipulates several scenarios such as course change, protective behavior, separating calve from mother...etc. What you mentioned are quidelines not laws. Three hundred feet is the guideline set by NOAA. For aircraft it is 1000 feet above and no hovering. This is a guideline written before the days of small UAVs that at 100 feet and no bigger than a seagull have absolutely no impact on a whale in open ocean. The boats 300 feet away or happen to end up in a whales path have more impact. I would suspect NOAA would rather have whales observed from a small drone rather than a fleet of boats following them down the coast .

I fly anywhere I want. But I also take in consideration the risk of others, location, weather conditions and so forth. I won't put my drone, people or property in any sort of danger if I can avoid it.

People are naturally curious and will ask questions. I try to avoid populated areas anyway. I don't care to answer questions over and over and over again. I'd rather fly and focus on my flight.

End of the day it's all about being respectful and mindful of your surroundings :) Most people don't care. It's when you act a fool things can get heated.

Reactions: Richard W
Honestly I think most people would do well to leave it to autonomous flight with apps like litchi, autopilot, etc. I know how to fly and I enjoy it but I've never gotten better footage and did it safer than with litchi. A well planned mission is without a doubt safer than manually flying because you're eyes have studied the area and the surroundings very closely during the planning of it. You have to stay present of mind and able to take over, but autonomous flight is much safer in the long run. It should be considered whenever possible.

Honestly I think most people would do well to leave it to autonomous flight with apps like litchi, autopilot, etc. I know how to fly and I enjoy it but I've never gotten better footage and did it safer than with litchi. A well planned mission is without a doubt safer than manually flying because you're eyes have studied the area and the surroundings very closely during the planning of it. You have to stay present of mind and able to take over, but autonomous flight is much safer in the long run. It should be considered whenever possible.

I'll agree to a point... Flip side is you can't always get your desired shot on a pre-made automated flight path. Either due to weather, sunlight, object obstruction, ect.

I am excited to try some more automated flights later this year though! It does help for sure!

I'll agree to a point... Flip side is you can't always get your desired shot on a pre-made automated flight path. Either due to weather, sunlight, object obstruction, ect.

I am excited to try some more automated flights later this year though! It does help for sure!
Weather affects any choice of fly day. Available light is on your ability to set good exposure for it at the location. Object obstruction could make choosing the go app, where you set waypoints during flight the better choice. But as to the op's question about where he is looking to fly, waypoint flying would be a great choice. Just put the bird up 200' (generally speaking) for the mission to be clear of most things and plan a mission. You have to be very careful about safe altitude, but it's about impossible to beat it in terms of the results of your video.

Do yourself a favor and wear your faa registration on a lanyard around your neck, easily viewable and presentable. Most people can't tell you what FAA stands for but they're all big shots about asking if your drone is registered. Local law enforcement may want to see it too. Have it available to produce and if you aren't registered, do so before you fly in areas where you'll be approached by the public. Then, be smart about where and how you fly and just fly, man.

If the quad was bought before DEC 21, owners still have just under a month till they even have to register.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31