Flying in or around Boston, MA

Good question - especially since you can SEE Logan International across the harbor. Hope someone in the know chimes in.

Hey I live in Revere and have been flying on the beach for a while now but was threatened by a state trooper gestapoe that he was going to take my Phantom away lasty night because he asked if it has GPS. He started quoting that the laws prohibit UAV flight with GPS is sounds like BS. So I looked up the FAA regulation and it is vague but mentions the commercial use of UAV is prohibited but not for recreational model aircraft. Word of advice there's a State Trooper guarding the Revere Sand Castle that says he wants to take one drone for himself so be aware of this ******* who is using his position to bully Phantom Pilots. He wanted to take mine but I reminded him about warrants. Also a word of caution to anyone flying a Phantom or any other multi-rotor that is spotted or approached by law enslavement. If you are flying and law enslavement comes up and asks you if you have GPS in that the best answer is to say no, lie, play dumb and say it is a multi-rotor model aircraft or copter. I have tested these answers out and I frequently use multi rotor copter and am usually never bothered. Local Revere PD is okay it is the beach statey gestapo you need to be suspicious of.

Sounds like BS because it likely is. This is something we would need to verify. What laws was he referring to? Local, state, federal?

Rather than letting this get out of hand in a ground confrontation, a call to the MA State Police ahead of time can help. Armed with dvice from a desk sgt (and a name to drop) can de-escalate things with a random beach patrol.

By the way, a lot of us are communicating though facebook Boston Area Multirotor group. Meet us there!

pay attention to the News forum, this is a hot topic and you'll stay informed. Currently there are zero regulations specifically regarding recreational use of multirotors. Every R/C aircraft is a UAV technically and they're completely legal to operate, unless you DO something illegal with them for example violating FAA restricted airspace (airports) or voyeurism laws... alternately if you're a **** and/or flying recklessly they can hit you with bs like reckless endangerment like they did the guys in nyc but the charge was only endangerment, not operating the craft specifically.
but "UAV with GPS" ? nope. bs.
If he could somehow prove you were operating the craft for COMMERCIAL purpose then he'd have a point. Comm use of any kind for UAVs is not allowed in the US at this time.

anyway I'm from NYC but I'm here in Boston this week for work (downtown/fidi) and have my Phantom setup... I'm going out to Gloucester this weekend but I have some downtime Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings and I'd be down to meet up if anybody wants to hang out one evening. I don't have a car but I know the T and I know I have to get farther away from BOS, feel free to PM me

Is there anyone in the Central MA area with a FPV system? I either had a flyaway or for some reason, an unwanted descend, and have lost my P2V+. I have an idea as to where it may be (assuming it wasn't a flyaway), but need to somewhat retrace my path, aerially. I'm in Worcester/Greendale, and would like to do something before the rain tomorrow!

I can be reached directly at joe (at) scan worcester (dot) com [no spaces]. I can pay you for your time, if need be. Thank you!

Gnapoleon said:
By the way, a lot of us are communicating though facebook Boston Area Multirotor group. Meet us there!

I just tried joining and it says 'pending.' Is there a moderator I should contact to verify that I fly a Phantom 2?

edit: nvm got added

KBB2682 said:
Just got my vision 2 Plus last week. I am based in Dedham MA for work. StanFran - Whats the best open area to fly around town. I did my first real testing in the last few days and posted on youtube.
Here is Weymouth MA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRwxFcQCys

and in Dedham I did these 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p6e-Fflyz4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq9P221YykU

Any pointers for a beginner out there or limitations I should be careful with.

Live in Burlington, MA and have been flying it around there as well.

KB - Sorry just reading this now a month later. Looks like you were already flying in one of my areas. The field beside and behind the Staples building is where I fly frequently when the field is not in use.

Here is a groundstation flight on my Vision. Over 2 miles on this trip. (PC Groundstation)
http://youtu.be/2hiD1vcabbo

This one is some shots little closer to you .. Marina Bay quincy and Gun Rock beach
http://youtu.be/H0ILzExawsk

Hi there PhillyFlyer.

I'm also in Cambridge, and got a Phantom 2 last week, with the H3-3D gimbal and GoPro 3. I've been flying every day, and am getting the hang of it, but still lots to learn. Am looking to fly with other people while the weather is still good. Would be great to share advice, compare flying, etc. Shoot me an email if you are interested.

Andrew ([email protected])

CambridgeAndrew said:
Hi there PhillyFlyer.

I'm also in Cambridge, and got a Phantom 2 last week, with the H3-3D gimbal and GoPro 3. I've been flying every day, and am getting the hang of it, but still lots to learn. Am looking to fly with other people while the weather is still good. Would be great to share advice, compare flying, etc. Shoot me an email if you are interested.

Andrew ([email protected])

I've been itching to get some skyline shots over the Charles River and a flyover of Fenway. Almost went down there to do it tonight.
I'm always game to fly and looking for new places to get in the air. Got any footage up on youtube yet?
Here's my channel documenting my learning efforts. Piloting/photography/editing. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEugac ... uMGOvY6ILA

Very nice video, Damon.
I am in Westford and just bought a P2 kit and the Hero 4. Actually, it's still on UPS somewhere.
I have been flying a 3DR Hex for two years but every time I take it up I feel like a test pilot. I just want to be able to shoot nice aerials.

There seems to be quite a few from the Greater Boston area here, maybe we should all get together sometime to meet and chat.

Thanks Steve. You'll like the p2 for sure. I think I may have reached the limits of what the GoPro + phantom platform can do I realized in my fall folliage shooting. I'm really hoping to be able to spring for an S900 + GH4 early next year. All I see these days from my footage are flaws but it's still a lot of fun :). A local gathering of pilots might be cool for sure, before the snow flies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20