Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying in NYC

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by trevsdad, Apr 7, 2016.

1. trevsdad

I'll be in New York City this weekend shooting some conventional footage on Canal Street (lower Manhattan) for a 'not for pay' project I'm working on. I AM DYING to bring along the P3P to get some basic aerial sweeps of the street for transitions and such. I see there's no NFZ's for the area...most of Manhattan for that matter...but I'm still reluctant unless I can get some assurances

I'd like to get some guidance from anyone who's shot in NYC...did you have to get clearance? if so, from who? Technically speaking, even though I wouldn't be flying very high, or out of LOS, should I be concerned being that close in to city based buildings?

Whaddya think?

2. With The Birds

Apart from any local ordinances and restrictions, i have no idea what the rules might be there, i would make sure you are comfortable flying in ATTI mode. You will almost certainly experience gps loss.

3. Pogopilot

This guy Casey Neiststat does a lot of flying in NYC. And has posted a ton of stuff on Youtube, check him out here. Be sure to check out his snowboarding in Manhattan video (25 million views) and some good drone footage

4. Mark The Droner

Watch out for wind tunnels...

5. trevsdad

Actually, I'm very familiar with. Casey's work. Thanks for the suggestion...I'll reach out.

6. trevsdad

...wind tunnels??

7. thtguyjosh

Hi! Obviosly been a while since you posted this but I'm extremely curious how your trip went. I'm planning a trip to NY in a month and desperately want to fly and get a few sweeping shots of the skyline. Did you have any luck? I've yet to find a single unquestionable answer to whether it's ok to fly or not.

8. timgting44

Seems fine to fly anywhere in nyc this guy gets amazing shots daily with his clogging, has over 3 million subscribers, I'm addicted to watching him lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

9. timgting44

Oops sorry I've seen casey has all ready been referred to lol, he is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

10. Wibble

Tall buildings funnel the wind a lot. Enough to blow people off their feet sometimes!

11. trevsdad

It rained that weekend so I never shot anything but I think Neistat and a few others get some good shots on the edge of the city near the West Side Highway. Checking the geofencing map there doesn't appear to be any NFZ's in that portion of the city.