Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying in/near Richmond VA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doovid, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Doovid

I'm somewhat new to the hobby with a P3P! I live in Brandermill and would like some advice about where to fly near me.
    Can anyone please help and suggest where some good places to fly can be found?
    Are state and county parks out?

2. Thatlhurt

Unless something has changed very recently, both Chesterfield and Virginia state parks are fine. I have attracted attention from park staff at state parks that did not seem particularly thrilled by my activities, but they were friendly and there were no problems.
    Additionally, Chesterfield school property is generally not a problem while school is out.
    If you have not already done so, check the online "do not fly here map". There is a fairly substantial restricted area around RIC and take care anywhere near Ft. Lee or the Defense Supply Center or any other military related facilities. If you fly anywhere near the county airport I would caution you that I often see small planes and military choppers flying much lower than you would expect even several miles out.
    Unless you have an aversion to flying over water, I would think that the Swift Creek Reservoir would appeal to you.

3. captncorey

Agree. The schools are prefect for another couple of weeks. I've flown at Harry Daniel Park, near the airport, and stay pretty low (under 100'). Not my favorite place to fly, though.

Great tip on the "do not fly here" map. Will check that out.

4. Thatlhurt

Evidently I was wrong about VA state parks. While flying at Pocahontas State Park this afternoon I was approached by 2 park police officers. To keep the story short, I was asked to stop and provided with a copy of the Virginia Administrative Code that reads as follows:

4VAC5-30-400. Aviation
    No person shall voluntarily bring, land or cause to descend or alight within or upon any park, any airplane, remote control model aircraft, flying machine, balloon, parachute or other apparatus for aviation. "Voluntarily" in this connection shall mean anything other than a forced landing.

I had checked park rules in the past and did not find anything, but this rule is certainly displayed on the park website now.

5. Mark The Droner

What I did was look at google maps. I looked for big fields such as farm land, and then looked for some place nearby where I might be able to park and fly. Then I drove over there and checked it out in person. I found a couple great spots that way.