Flying in lightning?!

I went out to test my new split-battery mod, but by the time I got out and flying a monsoon storm rolled in. I saw the dust devil on the FPV, and was turning back so didn't realize I captured the lightning until I viewed the video at home!

Desert Storm 1.jpg Desert Storm 3.jpg

Reactions: Deimos and ullhan84
Like others suggest, I'd stay at least a mile away. Often you get better lightning shots from a distance anyway. And you won't need a direct strike to knock out some electronics. Lightning bolts carry EMP's strong enough to knock out at least some of the electronics for several hundred meters from the actual bolt.

Mike

Great vid! As you have demonstrated here, there is a difference between being *in* a storm, which would be lunacy and the rain alone would ruin your bird, and *filming* a storm. I've gotten some beautiful lightning strikes from a storm that was maybe 10 miles away. If the conditions and visibility are good enough to see exactly where the storm is and isn't, go for it. Just be aware which direction things are moving - and that the wind may well be going quite fast at higher altitudes!

Agree. The footage you get from far away is beautiful. Also the lightning strikes may be to bright to capture from super close by

Like others suggest, I'd stay at least a mile away. Often you get better lightning shots from a distance anyway. And you won't need a direct strike to knock out some electronics. Lightning bolts carry EMP's strong enough to knock out at least some of the electronics for several hundred meters from the actual bolt.

Mike

Agree. lightening is unbelievably powerful

AlmostaJoker's Jul 31, 2016 looks like a US desert southwest monsoon shot. Nicely done!

Shot the one below on my P3S (didn't want to take up the P4 in a lightning storm) and got what I wanted visually, but haven't got the right tweak for the camera on the P3S for night shots. 2.7K isn't as awesome as the 4K on the P4, but it presents well in daylight...

Any suggestions on video menu custom settings on the P2S welcome...

I have been on the outskirts of a lighting storm and it was pretty cool. I have flown through rain 3 or 4 times with zero problems. One of the rainstorms was VERY heavy rain and the P3A flew flawlessly for an entire battery (about 20 min). Afterwards I brought it inside and let the motors run at idle speed for 10-15 minutes to help dry things out. No problem at all. I am not "recommending" it but I can tell you I have done the rain a few times without an issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20