Flying in high winds/gusts is no fun AT ALL

Reaction score
took my plus out for a quick flight just now in really high winds to see how the gimbal would handle. at some point in the flight the winds picked up and my quad started drifting quickly out of my visual sight just after I lost video feed. I couldn't tell my orientation to try to bring it back manually, so I turned off the controller. RTH initiated and saved my ***. I have flown in high winds and it's gotten a bit scary but not like this! never again. freaked me out!

Wowza!, Wowza!, Wowza! ...
Step right up Ladies and Gent's ....
Come'n see the wild man as he flies his Phantom in to the jaws of certain death ...
Yes folks .. for one thin dime ...... one tenth of'a dolla .... you can watch the epic struggle between man and nature ......

Dude :!: :!: Wadayadoin :?: :?: :?:

gusts today were up to 30mph. i have video of the flight but the gimbal performs so well that you cant even tell how hard the wind was blowing until you see some flags at one point in the flight. At the point in the video where i started to freak out, you can see me running through my neighbor's backyard trying to get visual contact as i lost it from where i was standing when it started drifting off. I can clearly see how people who didnt set home point before take off would quickly and easily lose an aircraft. Home lock and RTH has saved me more than a few times since going into NAZA mode.

tizzl10 said:
gusts today were up to 30mph. i have video of the flight but the gimbal performs so well that you cant even tell how hard the wind was blowing until you see some flags at one point in the flight. At the point in the video where i started to freak out, you can see me running through my neighbor's backyard trying to get visual contact as i lost it from where i was standing when it started drifting off. I can clearly see how people who didnt set home point before take off would quickly and easily lose an aircraft. Home lock and RTH has saved me more than a few times since going into NAZA mode.

Well, I'm glad you got it back man!

Sooooo ..... where's that viddy??
My evil side wanst'a see you trying to chase down a "gone Elvis" Phantom!! :lol:

Do I understand you correctly ...... you need to 'manually' set the home point when in Naza mode?

Flyer91 said:
tizzl10 said:

Well, I'm glad you got it back man!

Sooooo ..... where's that viddy??
My evil side wanst'a see you trying to chase down a "gone Elvis" Phantom!! :lol:

Do I understand you correctly ...... you need to 'manually' set the home point when in Naza mode?

setting home point in Naza mode / regular mode is the same. uploading the video now.

tizzl10 said:
took my plus out for a quick flight just now in really high winds to see how the gimbal would handle. at some point in the flight the winds picked up and my quad started drifting quickly out of my visual sight just after I lost video feed. I couldn't tell my orientation to try to bring it back manually, so I turned off the controller. RTH initiated and saved my ***. I have flown in high winds and it's gotten a bit scary but not like this! never again. freaked me out!

I realize that a person doesn't always think clearly in a panic situation but could you put the left switch in "home" position and bring the craft back into sight using the pitch stick? Just asking.

npalen said:
tizzl10 said:

I realize that a person doesn't always think clearly in a panic situation but could you put the left switch in "home" position and bring the craft back into sight using the pitch stick? Just asking.

yes, in naza mode you can program your s2 for return to home. i decided to just leave it as is with turning off the controller.

Really better off in naza m mode. If you lose orientation just put it in home lock and pull the stick back on it comes right to you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl