Flying in extremely low temperatures.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this has been talked about ALOT but nothing really has a straight forward conclusive answer.

I know a lot of you fly in a lot colder conditions and after all you can get a lot nicer photos in the frost and snow. In the U.K. This morning where I was it was -4C, cold and foggy. I went for a flight but after 10 minutes gave up and went home as you couldn't really do anything in thick fog.

When I landed the water over the drone was unreal, all over the cameras lens, the gimble etc. I wiped it all dry but can this condensation do any damage to gimble motor etc. When I had landed there was thick ice formed on the props that I had to pick off haha!

I really don't want to wait until summer to fly again!

Sincerely,

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm not sure fog can exist at -4C. Sounds like you were straddling 0C

Anyway, there have been many posts from people including myself who have flown in fog. And yes, their ACs are soaking wet when they return. So far, I haven't seen any posts regarding flight problems.

Ice building up on the props would definitely cause problems, I would think.

Reactions: Indiana Scott
The ice build up could also due to evaporative cooling, and maybe weird pressure effects around the props.
I live near the Lake district and often have to fly in damp misty weather and so far no problems. I have tried flying straight up to see if I could clear the mist, but usually bottle out before any breakthrough.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl