Flying in China question

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I realize Our Phantoms are made in China. However I was wondering if there are any laws or precautions of flying the phantoms in China. I'll be in Beijing and Shanghai this summer. Thanks.

I'm wondering the same thing as my parents live there and I'll be visiting.

There's this video on Youtube from various cultural sites in Beijing. That guy got caught and as far as I've understood they confiscated the quadcopter but he got it back when leaving the country. However, that guy was filming at some sites that would be illegal to fly at in any country!

These guys are flying in China out to 20 km with no worries at all.

So fly your bird high and as far as you want. Enjoy the freedoms you don't get in America.

Seems strange to be saying that about China. :oops:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIfDNcIF__g[/youtube]

Meta4 said:
Be aware that they are still very sensitive about Tiananmen Square.
Drone flying is not allowed anywhere near it.

If you're flying in GPS mode IT WONT allow you to take off anywhere Tienanmen Sq !

Meta4 said:
Be aware that they are still very sensitive about Tiananmen Square.
Drone flying is not allowed anywhere near it.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking perhaps near the Great Wall, or Forbidden City?

Cant say about The Wall but the Forbidden City is immediately due north of T.Square so it's off limits too.

I believe the Wall is off limits as well!

They do not want you to see the fact that they have only tarted up the tourist bits and left the rest to rot.

There are clear demarcations and having a UAV airborne would allow you to circumvent these barriers a see what China doesn't want you to !

I checked DJI's no-fly map and the Great Wall is not designated.

Who knows about how accurate the on-line info is though.

Even if it's "legal", don't be surprised if your asked by local authorities to pay a 'fee' for use at locations.

Also remember that 80% of Chinese airspace is military use. Therefore, at your own risk may be the best way to put it. Believe it or not China does have laws often but enforcement is lacking.

I do have family in China and are able to speak Mandarin but they are not interested enough in my hobby to help me locate & translate the laws.

This is true.

However the GW is ~85km north of Beijing and not included or covered on the current DJI map.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub