Flying in Canada & US border

Reaction score
I live in Wiscosnin and took a weekend trip to Canada. I took a train from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario 115 miles to Agawa canyon park. I had my P3P with and got to fly it in the canyon between the frequent rain showers. I used this straightforward chart to determine if I could legally fly my bird in Canada: https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/document...hic_Permission_to_fly_a_UAV_Print_English.pdf

I called ahead and the park said I was OK to fly it. I found a nice open spot in the canyon away from people to take-off. As frequently happens, I get curious people coming up to me asking about it. They are amazed when they see the live picture on my tablet. (Its a Samsung Tab A 8.0 BTW and so far with V1.3.20 firmware its been working great) I answer their questions, talk up the hobby and tell them how to find my youtube channel. It really seems like this friendly interaction gives balance to the negative news about these great machines that people who never seen one are bombarded with. I bet 50% of them say they are going to go back and learn more about them aka, the want one :)

I have a question regarding international borders:

I plan on taking my P3P to an island in Canada, near Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario & the St. Mary's river. The US/Canadian border runs down the middle of this river. While I plan on avoiding it, what regulations might be violated or issues may arise if I fly my P3P across the border into US airspace and then turn it around and land it in Canada where I took off? I would be adhereing to the commonly known rules regarding altitude, airports, LOS, etc in both countries. Not quite the same but, I also occasionally ride lake freighters on the Great Lakes and they sail into Canadian waters to seek out better weather but the ports they use are all in the US. However, it seems like there might be rules about flying over a international border that I'm not aware of. Can anyone shed light on this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers