Flying in bright sunlight.... Arghhh!!!

Reaction score
Hi Folks.

Just recently went on holidays and brought my p3p with me for some nice aerial footage. Before I left I decided to invest in the sun visor attachment from Dji for my iPad mini.
I'm finding though, that even flying in the Sun/ on the beach, the glare on the iPad screen is unbearable as it would be I suppose if I was reading a book or doing anything really.
Even if I turn the brightness up to full I'm still finding it hard to get any decent shots.... Well anything where I'm not a million miles from obstacles for fear of crashing anyway!
Has anyone any advise in this regard or am I resigned to standing somewhere in the shade everytime!

Hi Folks.

Just recently went on holidays and brought my p3p with me for some nice aerial footage. Before I left I decided to invest in the sun visor attachment from Dji for my iPad mini.
I'm finding though, that even flying in the Sun/ on the beach, the glare on the iPad screen is unbearable as it would be I suppose if I was reading a book or doing anything really.
Even if I turn the brightness up to full I'm still finding it hard to get any decent shots.... Well anything where I'm not a million miles from obstacles for fear of crashing anyway!
Has anyone any advise in this regard or am I resigned to standing somewhere in the shade everytime!
For $10-$30 or so, you can choose from a huge variety of VR Goggles like VR Box. That solves the problem and even enhances the experience to a noticeable degree.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=vr+goggles

Sun shades are usually not effective unless they are long/ deep and create a dark room effect. I bought one but discarded after using few times.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Another option would be to fly with FPV Goggles. The advantage over VR goggles is that you can still look down at your mobile device and interact with DJI GO. With VR goggles, your mobile device needs to be inserted into the goggles. And, that also means you could not use your iPad Mini.

Aliexpress.com : Buy PGY Drone Aviator Hood kit remote control RC sun Hood shade upgraded DJI phantom 2 3 4 inspire 1 Accessories Quadcopter parts from Reliable control valve accessories suppliers on PGY-TECH

Here's a much cheaper design than the hoodman, which I bought as a backup, but have yet to use - hand access to the iPad is better designed on this one.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Kills me to see that knowing I spent $90 on the Hoodman! I knew there would be a knock off for less eventually....but it still hurts.

Like mentioned above, the Hoodman is really the only option, short of Goggles, that blocks ALL sunlight.

FWIW it shouldn't kill you to have forked over a couple extra bucks to hoodman; they did the R&D and they deserve it. I have fairly recently decided that the best tool I have to fight the rampant intellectual property raiding that undercuts innovative companies like that is to vote with my dollars. Hard to do...requires a bit of extra vigilance, but I sleep better at night.

Reactions: IslaJim
I got a sheet of black foam core. I made a sunshade that slides over the iPad on the control and cut a hole for the USB connector. It's durable, light weight and it's black. Incidental light will not reflect off the shade to the screen. Works best when you face the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj