Flying in bad places .... nice example.

Reaction score
Have seen some discussion lately about where, when and how "flyers" should be behaving in regards to the basic rules now and proposed legislation .... some have said we need to follow the example of the experts and the people who work in the industry ... I just came across a perfect example backing my previous comments about how this is sometimes incorrect ... people are just people, whether they are experts or not, everyone does bad things at times or in ignorance, and cant say have ever seen a perfect role model in the world ....

Heres a webpage for one of ATI's big cam drones (An expert company in the field !!??) .... http://www.aerialtechnology.com/sho...vics-skyjib-8-titanium-film-kit/#!prettyPhoto

Nice looking drone they are sellling ...... BUT just dont mention that the photo they are using here promoting this drone is above my home city of Wellington in NZ, up high on surrounding hills ... RIGHT IN THE MAIN NORTHERN FLIGHT PATH OF THE AIRPORT !!!

As I said previously, .... where money and humans are involved just about anything possible will happen regardless of the rules or common sense at the time.... people will do what people do ... cause the rules aren't made for them ... rules are just for the OTHER guys !! ??? ;)

Be safe and may your props not drop off anytime soon ... !

I think that's a promo shot from Aeronautics (SkyJib), but either way if it's where you say it is then it's just as bad. And, it looks like they had to use 2 drones to get the shot.

OI Photography said:
I think that's a promo shot from Aeronautics (SkyJib), but either way if it's where you say it is then it's just as bad. And, it looks like they had to use 2 drones to get the shot.

Yeah am just at work and have cleared all my work and was just crusing web ... took second glance and realised picture was here in Wellington ... could only think is more than likely gear bought for "Lord of the Rings" & "Hobbit" Crew work at Weta workshop maybe .... ??

Was just a little suprised at the location as THIS is the exact northern approach for planes landing in Wellington and their glide slope takes them right across top of these hills !! yikes !!..... kiwi people are mad as anyone ....

Someone was also telling me last night that someone flew a Big Pentacopter right along the waterfront and over the main stadium in weekend while the Rugby Sevens International event was being held ... people were saying how cool it was ... I asked how did the helicopter company area on the waterfront feel about a 25kg heavy lift drone flying around their "city working area" ??? ... as they had real helicopters up filming too ... bat **** and crazy ... humans are fun ... !!

So some random drone company in Oregon USA is going to "shop" a photo of their drone, above a random location on the other side of the planet, while the scenery in Oregon etc is way comparable ... ??

I know this country is cooler than most ..... but I doubt thats the scenario ...

It's quite possible they had permission... like this company

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10830018

Also, without knowing the camera and lens there may be a depth perception distortion in the picture that makes things appear farther/nearer/higher/lower than they really are.

http://www.sycamoreuav.com/about/the-team/

If the operators are using handheld aircraft radios and telling inbound/outbound pilots that a drone is in the air, then I don't have any problem with it.

Without knowing any more information, I'd say it's a bit too early to say this was a case of "flying in bad places"

CunningStuntFlyer said:
This thread reminds me of a close call I had this weekend.

Talk about facing the wrong direction....whatever that guy was shooting, it must have been pretty interesting.

Sixteen thousand dollars!!!! R U serious!!! 4 what?
Just how many RED camera's do you want to carry, at once?

I've seen 2-bladed "conventional" electric R/C copters, that can carry a RED easily. And, they cost a few grand....

Sorry-but that picture looks photo shopped. It's a beautiful spot.

But seriously, 16 grand!!! AND, who's gonna take a chance of flying that over water??!!!!

Looks like I'll have to sell my Personal Watercraft(2013 Seadoo GTX-iS 260 Limited), if I want to "compete" with the Big Boys.

Can that thing carry a person?? Sorry-I didn't read past the price...just stopped there. Did see that it comes with 2 Futaba remotes....cool!!!

CunningStuntFlyer said:
Not Photoshopped.

The folks who make the frame are from NZ. The Oregon folks just lifted a photo from the manufacturer.

Yes CSF is on the money as per normal :) ... I just called Oregon from NZ and asked them .... (International voice tech so can call anyone on planet:) )

Is Aeronavics frame built here in NZ, and when calling them up north as well, they said photo was shot by a company "Photohigher" here in Wellington (where pic was shot) using their base built unit ..... they did say funnily, ... dont look at the landing gear as isnt theirs LOL

CunningStuntFlyer said:
This thread reminds me of a close call I had this weekend.

That's brilliant...

GMANNZ said:
CunningStuntFlyer said:
Not Photoshopped.

The folks who make the frame are from NZ. The Oregon folks just lifted a photo from the manufacturer.

Yes CSF is on the money as per normal :) ... I just called Oregon from NZ and asked them .... (International voice tech so can call anyone on planet:) )

Is Aeronavics frame built here in NZ, and when calling them up north as well, they said photo was shot by a company "Photohigher" here in Wellington (where pic was shot) using their base built unit ..... they did say funnily, ... dont look at the landing gear as isnt theirs LOL
So the frames are made in NZ?? Are the Titanium??
And this guy in Oregon puts the rest together?? It's a very nice kit-no doubt about it......

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl