Flying In An Industrial Park With Steel Buildings - OK?

Reaction score
A friend is getting a P2V+ and wants to bring it to work to have me assist with his initial flights. I know, crazy.

There is a vacant lot next door that is about 100' x 200' but all the surrounding buildings are steel. I'm pretty sure this is not a good place to calibrate the compass but will the steel have any affects on just flying assuming it is calibrated in a suitable location.

Thanks!

Shouldn't be an issue. Go into the middle of the lot and so long as there is not an old concrete with re-bar floor, you should be fine.

Thanks guys. Am I correct about calibrating the compass here?

It shouldn't be a problem.

I fly in an Industrial Park with loads of metal buildings. I make sure to calibrate the compass about thirty feet from the building. I've had no issues flying or RTH's.

Thanks. Guess I was being overly paranoid.

Underground power lines can goof up the calibration. Been there - done that.

How tall are the buildings? They can be really hard on the props... no bumping:eek:

Underground power lines can goof up the calibration. Been there - done that.

How tall are the buildings? They can be really hard on the props... no bumping:eek:

Roger on the underground lines. The ones for my building run underground from the street to the building but we could get about 50' feet away. Most of the buildings are about 20' - 25' tall, big targets. :D

If worried about compass calibration just don't do it, there won't be any problem - or it will tell you by LEDs or App anyway.
Note the steel buildings will block control signal dead if you lose line of sight, so care will be needed.
It would be better to take off from a further away, ideally a somewhat elevated location, if you want to fly reasonably low over several large buildings.

If worried about compass calibration just don't do it, there won't be any problem - or it will tell you by LEDs or App anyway.

+1
Don't do compass calibrations near metal. If there is concrete, there is metal (rebar).
There isn't a need to do it every flight. This could even make it worse. If you are paranoid, find the closest open grassy field and do it and then return to the sight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj