Flying In 4 Degree Weather.

Reaction score
Well I took my Phantom 3 Professional out for the first time today. It's only 4 degrees in the chicago Illinois area,.with a wind chill of -22 degrees Fahrenheit. The only problem I had is my I-Pad Air 2 shut off in a little over 3 minutes. I managed a small flight,.but did a catch landing,.as soon as the I-Pad Shut down,.do to the extremely cold weather. I've asked if the Phantom could fly in cold weather & heard it can through the many threads here. I can tell you now though,.that I-Pads,.do not handle that kind of low Temps well. My I-Pad Air 2 didn't anyway. It would not power back on till I warmed it up in the car. It looks like it will be a couple days before I attempt to fly again. It's going to be in the single digits in Chicago for awhile. :-(

That's a good idea. I will try again later in the car. I was surprised how quick the i-pad shut down. It is really cold for any kind electronics to work well. I have some Homemade Chilli slow cooking in the Crock pot now. Perfect time for that!!! :)

Maybe try a disposable hand warmer under the Ipad, is a photographers trick to mount the hand warmer under a lens to prevent moisture on the lens for nighttime photography. Might need 2 warmers to keep it thawed out ;-) Vehicle is definitely warmer than the outdoors!

That also is a good idea. I'm going to try flying it in the car. I don't have any hand warmers now,.so I think flying a little from the car,.is what I will do. Thanks for the advice guys!!! The info you get here sure is helpful!!!

Wow I'm surprised the iPad shut down. What part of Chicago so you fly in??? I just ordered a standard in hopes that it will be delivered Tuesday[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's weird??I flew my new p3A yesterday for first time and it was zero degrees in the UK just now.I had no issues at all with my iPad mini 2 .i did 4 flights with a recharge in middle prob 40 minutes in total.
Maybe the mini is tougher lol

I was actually flying it in a southwest suburb of chicago. I didn't have a cover on the I-Pad Air two. You can't fit one on the RC clamp. The wind I think was a big factor to. The I-Pad Air 2 is just like a wind sail,.catching that cold wind on a empty field. I'm Ordering a I-Pad Mini 3 with Wifi & Cellular. I already have a hood for it now. That should help it stay a little warmer along with the case. It was a wee bit nippy out there today. Not what I wanted for my first flight with the new Phantom 3 Pro!!! LoL!

Maybe try a disposable hand warmer under the Ipad, is a photographers trick to mount the hand warmer under a lens to prevent moisture on the lens for nighttime photography. Might need 2 warmers to keep it thawed out ;-) Vehicle is definitely warmer than the outdoors!
When it's below 0 I use two toe warmers on my iPad Air2. They have adhesive backing so you can stick one on each side of the RC bracket. I also keep my batteries in a small vinyl cooler with a hand warmer until I fly.

That's weird??I flew my new p3A yesterday for first time and it was zero degrees in the UK just now.I had no issues at all with my iPad mini 2 .i did 4 flights with a recharge in middle prob 40 minutes in total.
Maybe the mini is tougher lol
0 Celsius = -15.5F. Just a bit cooler

Well I had the same issue yesterday with my iPhone (after 15 minutes) and - 2 Celsius. Chemical reaction of the lithium ion battery.
I will buy an neoprene cover or something else to keep warm my phone or my tablet. Any advice?

DJI-Madison-Pano-1.jpg
I used 2 hand warmers under my iPhone 6. I bought an iPhone 6+ case, put the hand warmers in it, then the phone. I was good to go.

I also have 2 pairs of etip gloves:

ETIP GLOVE | United States

MEN’S MONTANA ETIP™ GLOVE | United States

The large ones work best with a tablet.

Last edited:
Ahhh, Chicago. One of the few places in the Midwest where not only can you see your air, you can taste it too. ;)

Its a bit nippy here in Milwaukee too. Mine supposedly arrives tomorrow. Guess I need to get out and see how my Galaxy 5 fairs in the cold. Got a bag of the hand warmers so I am set if I need em. I was likely to use them for the batteries anyway. I figure a couple rubber bands ought to hold em on the phone if needed. At least until I can get something 3D printed.

Mines arrive tomorrow as well lol

It almost hurts waiting doesn't it. I guess this should be a good reminder for us to be a little more lenient with the kids the week before Christmas ;)

Yea, I've been actually waiting for mine for the past 10 days. I ordered it on a weekend which I have a awful habit of doing when I buy things. Then it took 3 business days to ship out. Then it's coming from California. So 3 negatives for me haha. But patience is a virtue.

Mine was ordered on Jan 7th. Also being shipped from Kalifornia. On a FedEx truck (I hope) but the tracking hasn't scanned it since it left Cali on the 13th. I would have thought it should be here in Wisconsin by now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers