flying hone curiosity question

Reaction score
Let's say you're flying over a 200 foot high wall. Then drop the bird down on the other side.
Ooops. Lost signal. Time to go home.
So the bird automatically adjusts to 60 feet, then tries to fly through the wall?
Or will it fly to the highest recorded height first, then adjust?

That's a pretty high wall! Don't drop down on the other side of it! Your Phantom will return home at 20m or the current height whichever is greater.

Repeat the mantra... Maintain LoS ... Maintain Line of Sight...

If you maintain Line of Sight with the Phantom, then it's the best guarantee that it has a way back to you. Once you go over a 200' wall (are you talking about 4 walls that make up one building here) and drops down on the other side, then it's insta-death for your phantom. It'll immediately lose signal, tries to return to home and flies directly to said wall and plummets down from 195' high.

Suwaneeguy said:
Let's say you're flying over a 200 foot high wall. Then drop the bird down on the other side.
Ooops. Lost signal. Time to go home.
So the bird automatically adjusts to 60 feet, then tries to fly through the wall?
Or will it fly to the highest recorded height first, then adjust?

It depends on if you first took off from an altitude higher than that wall. If your Phantom is below 20m from the point of takeoff (ground level), it will ascend to 20m above ground level, then go home. So if you take off from atop the Great Wall of China, you're fine.

If you take off from the ground on one side, then fly over the wall and back down, yes the Phantom will ascend 20m, then fly straight into the wall; it's blind and has no way of knowing you went over a wall in the first place.

I am still confused what happens if:

After take off you ascend Phantom to 220' AND reset the home point there.
Then fly over the wall and descend behind it AND loose RC connection.

Will the Phantom ascend to 220' + 20m AND fly home at that altitude?

AnselA said:

The height is relative to the home point stored in the Phantom. If still in doubt, you should test it. But I would suggest you make your wall imaginary the first time around.

AnselA said:

How do you reset the home point while flying?

Mike

Depends on if you have a 2 or 3 way switch, you flip rapidly 3-5 times between CL and HL.

While I was at the Grand Canyon I was in the same dilemma. If I flew 100ft down in the canyon and lost contact would it ascend 160ft and home or 60ft and into the wall of the canyon!! That is why I didn't fly down the canyon just above it.
Simon

cayman57 said:
While I was at the Grand Canyon I was in the same dilemma. If I flew 100ft down in the canyon and lost contact would it ascend 160ft and home or 60ft and into the wall of the canyon!! That is why I didn't fly down the canyon just above it.
Simon
it would climb 160ft, but I suspect you would have bigger problems flying the GC!

AnselA said:
Home point in 3D space.

Yes. The home location consists of:

home latitude
home longitude
home altitude (barometric)

I cannot say for certain if all three are updated when you reset it in the air but I would assume so. Should be pretty easy to test with an OSD. No matter what, the Naza will evaluate the current altitude with the home altitude + 20m and use whichever is higher for RTH. I also assume the Naza will ignore the home altitude on auto land and maintain a gradual descent until the barometric pressure stops increasing for more than xx seconds.

If you took off from a cliff and flew it down into a canyon and it lost connectivity would it fly back to the top of the cliff?

Larryreilly said:
If you took off from a cliff and flew it down into a canyon and it lost connectivity would it fly back to the top of the cliff?
. Yes, it will come up about 60ft above the top of the cliff where you took off.

QuadZilla said:
ianwood said:
I also assume the Naza will ignore the home altitude on auto land and maintain a gradual descent until the barometric pressure stops increasing for more than xx seconds.

That would make sense but my in my experience that's not what happened when I had a home point set above ground level.

Did it shut off in mid-air???

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic