Flying Higher Then 400'

Reaction score
I think it's been a few hours or even a couple of days since we've seen a "400' " thread.... long over due.

I needed to get away from the local inversion and nasty winter weather so I headed down to central Utah, San Rafael Swell area. One of my favorite spots as it's so diverse and easy to get to. I went from 35F weather with rain and snow to nice blue sky and 55F temps.

I've flown hundreds of times and I'd say I'm under 400' about 90% of the time. There have been many flights at 500'. I can say that I've been at 1000' only three. For me, there is almost no need to get to that altitude. The only times I've done it is when the open landscape can only be shown from this height.

The pictures below were one of those situations. In most cases I was surrounded by cliffs that were much higher and I was usually pretty close to them. The last photo (094) is not really a high altitude photo... until I ran the P3 over the edge. Then I was instantly above 400' :)

Let me just close by saying that I wanted to get out and get some photos but when the day rolled around I was not motivated. I told myself I'd get out there and be thankful that I made the trip. I was correct. It's one of the reason's I like flying.... it gets me outside in the fresh air and helps be unwind.

DJI_0062.JPG
DJI_0070.JPG
DJI_0094.JPG

Nice. Waiting for a video of someone landing on one of those tall columns you see out in those areas.

The reasoning behind the 400 foot ceiling is that General Aviation starts at 500 feet. Sort of. A fixed wing aircraft might conceivably be flying under the buttes but that would be dangerous in and of itself. A helicopter could certainly be flying in and around the rocks.

My point being that the 400 foot ceiling is not an absolute measure of what is safe or unsafe. Certainly by flying a UAV 1000 feet over terrain you will be in GA airspace. Running around the buttes and rocks not so much but you still need to be aware of potential interactions with manned craft and cognizant of the fact that they ALWAYS have right of way.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik