Flying high as possible is the stupidest thing ever

Whether or not a Phantom ingestion would cause a failure of any kind is immaterial. Any kind of contact with another vessel is to be avoided at all costs. Lack of RC/drone rules or not, in the higher altitudes there are other vehicles that are already licensed, regulated and certified. They are outfitted with radios and collision detection systems to avoid each other. But they cannot spot or avoid a Phantom BLOS at 3,000ft.

Bottom line is every time you fly your Phantom, you need to realize you share the air and you're the new guy with the disruptive technology causing the problem. If someone flies BLOS into air traffic having not taken any precautions, they will likely get done for negligence. As they should.

ianwood said:
Whether or not a Phantom ingestion would cause a failure of any kind is immaterial. Any kind of contact with another vessel is to be avoided at all costs. Lack of RC/drone rules or not, in the higher altitudes there are other vehicles that are already licensed, regulated and certified. They are outfitted with radios and collision detection systems to avoid each other. But they cannot spot or avoid a Phantom BLOS at 3,000ft.

Bottom line is every time you fly your Phantom, you need to realize you share the air and you're the new guy with the disruptive technology causing the problem. If someone flies BLOS into air traffic having not taken any precautions, they will likely get done for negligence. As they should.

This needs to be a sticky AND included in GIANT RED LETTERS with every Phantom or any other kind of RC aircraft.

The only change I would make is that they (full size aircraft) cannot spot a Phantom period. ALtitude and distance from you have nothing to do with it. A full scale pilot simply will not spot your Phantom. It is up to US to see and avoid. And you cannot do that adequately when operating BLOS, in the clouds, etc.

All we are doing by posting endless "Hey look at me flying like an idiot" videos to YouTube is reinforcing the case for stricter regulation of our aircraft/models.

I think anyone who flies more than 100ft altitude has a chance of hitting an aircraft no matter how careful they are.
Think of low flying helicopers, microlights, military jets on exercise, balloons etc etc.

The best you can do is observe and listen for other stuff in the air, keep away from airports and flighpaths or simply choose another hobby.

2trickpony said:
So what happens if a light aircraft crashes and hits my car?
Shouldnt the pilot be staying clear of my restricted "driving" space ? ;)

That happens more than you think. There should be a law ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers