Flying high and losing the fear

Reaction score
For my third and forth flight today, I thought I'd prove failsafe and fly slightly further away and higher. Low and behold it came back to me.
Anyway, for my last flight today, I flew much higher so the copter was much smaller. I still had fpv and sight.
What I'm asking is how do people lose the fear of flyaway, loss of sight or loss of control to name a few?
I've sent my Hubsan up til I could barely see it and not had really any fear, it's just with the phantom I'm worrying my socks off each time I get off the ground.
Any tips? I'd love to fly much higher and further without getting scared!

ive taken mine upto 400ft, it was a spec in the sky, however having a tracker fitted to it gives me a little piece of mind.

Ive yet to take it more than 400ft on the vertical axis, as i havent found anywhere that will let me fly that far away and be able to walk to it should it come down for any reason.

As for the fear, as someone on here is fond of saying, if your going to spend your time worrying you may as well sell it.

flyaways are high in gps mode with the compass not set right perhaps before flight
I was a hubsan x4 before the phantom fc40 so I only fly in atti mode as its faster
than gps mode. not sure how faster though and I would never set it in manual
mode full stop

I was flying about 2350ft (take off at sea level), and yes i was scared..
I did not see the bird anymore, there was absolutely no wind.. i pulled the stick back to descent, and after a couple of minutes i could hear him again..
The red light was blinking very fast, so the battery was emtpy, but i could land the phantom nice and easy.
I was glad he was back.. i never do that again.. :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSHrHOs3rKE[/youtube]

jamwatn said:
For my third and forth flight today, I thought I'd prove failsafe and fly slightly further away and higher. Low and behold it came back to me.
Anyway, for my last flight today, I flew much higher so the copter was much smaller. I still had fpv and sight.
What I'm asking is how do people lose the fear of flyaway, loss of sight or loss of control to name a few?
I've sent my Hubsan up til I could barely see it and not had really any fear, it's just with the phantom I'm worrying my socks off each time I get off the ground.
Any tips? I'd love to fly much higher and further without getting scared!

I am just like you. With me I think the reason for this is partly due to the price of the Phantom, compared to the Hubsan. Also, I know the Phantom can hurt someone and that concerns me. As I think it should. Finally, I do not intend to utilize the Phantoms RTH capabilities. That is my final 'Failsafe'. Having not used RTH though. I struggle to trust the Phantom fully. All that being said, it shouldn't stop me (or you) from flying further and I think with flying experience comes more confidence.

crash1sttime said:
As for the fear, as someone on here is fond of saying, if your going to spend your time worrying you may as well sell it.

I think some fear is good. It can prevent people from being cocky or making mistakes. But of course, excessive worrying isn't good for the hobby lol.

Hi psychopathRC,

Do you have any moorland near you where you can trial rth over a great distance? I turned on the IOC and RTH functions on my FC40 and firstly went to a small field and tried rth from around 50m. Then I went to the moor and went maybe 300m and turned RTH on. Made me a bit more confident that it would come back. When it was close, I took control again to land it.

I will speak from experience with this

You will get over some of the anxiety of flying high but you still have the worry of a possible fly away or part failure

It's a risk we all take when flying anything like this

I have never flown over 400 feet with any of my phantoms and over 100 feet with my hubsun quad
I also suggest getting a tracker

plymouthphantom said:
Hi psychopathRC,

Do you have any moorland near you where you can trial rth over a great distance? I turned on the IOC and RTH functions on my FC40 and firstly went to a small field and tried rth from around 50m. Then I went to the moor and went maybe 300m and turned RTH on. Made me a bit more confident that it would come back. When it was close, I took control again to land it.

In London? No idea, lol. Until now, I've only flown in 2 - 3 local parks (One of them is a big one) I do have the space to try RTH in the biggest park. But there can be people around so I have to be careful.

general01 said:
I will speak from experience with this

You will get over some of the anxiety of flying high but you still have the worry of a possible fly away or part failure

It's a risk we all take when flying anything like this

I have never flown over 400 feet with any of my phantoms and over 100 feet with my hubsun quad
I also suggest getting a tracker

I actually bought a TK102 tracker, which never worked. Not thought about it since then x)

Why didn't the tracker work? I have the same one and it works fine for me

crash1sttime said:
Why didn't the tracker work? I have the same one and it works fine for me

You can select any option. Or all of them. Or make up your own!

1. It was a clone
2. It was damaged in transit
3. It said in the manual "Fully charge before use" - It never charged. I had two batteries with it and they both drained upon charging.
4. Despite the item being listed on Ebay as 'New' my Tracker, Charger & USB Cable all had marks on them. Looked used to me.
5. I asked two sellers on Ebay if I can use a 3G Sim, which also has 2G capabilities. They both said yes. Silly me. Should have known they'd tell me what I want to hear.

Ultimately, it just didn't respond. Maybe I HAD to fully charge it before using it for the first time. Maybe my 3G Sim was incompatible. Maybe the Tracker was damaged. I got a refund in the end. I COULD buy another. But I feel it's risky. If I want a Tracker, maybe I will be better off buying a more costly one that I KNOW will work.

How easily did yours work?

Well I guess getting a tracker on eBay is a big gambal

I am concerned about it adding extra weight(though with the p2v and p2v+'a battery life you think I wouldn't mind a small drop but I do)
I miss my old fc40 but I got it mainly in case I screwed up during my first time flying(which I did a lot)

Didn't wat to chance a 500 dollar camera/gimbal package before I got used to how the phantom behaved compared to the small quads I had
I sold it not long after I got my p2v(non plus)
I have set the limits on both so (hopefully) they nether fly away on me(have thought of strapping a old iPhone to it as a tracker)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers