Flying GM1 for Video. Phantom 2 + GoPro or F550?

Reaction score
I have read many questions by novices such as myself and I thank the good people who inform us. I've spent some time reading to try to ask something relatively informed. I am new to aerial videography and am considering the Phantom for its simplicity and price point. My first priority is:

High quality video (dynamic range, stability, resolution)

I don't necessarily need lengthy flight time, wide field of view, anything more than a 'following' gimbal, video downlink.

I currently own a GM1 and am very impressed with the camera (it's about 270g with its lens, MFT sensor, excellent photos and video if you're unfamiliar with it). But it looks like, while many have put it up with the Phantom 2 (and the Phantom 1 even!) its use might be limited more to stills as the P2 can't carry the camera and gimbal (assuming gimbal is necessary for good video results).

Also, I believe the GM1's WiFi operates on the same 2.4GHz band as the Phantom so no hope of built-in monitoring there. Video downlink is not essential, but would clearly be a nice convenience. Can I buy a Vision 2 and pull off the camera?

So I've considered the F550.

However, I'm told that even the F550 would struggle with a GM1 and gimbal. I have a hard time believing that if the aging P1 can take the GM1 airborne. I don't anticipate needing more than 10 min flight time for now. For my needs I will have a shot in mind, buy a couple batteries and work to execute that specific shot.

Also, with the 550 I could pick my own Tx/Rx system that operates at 5.8GHz, freeing me to use GoPro/GM1 at 2.4Ghz, correct?

However, I've also gathered that the gimbal needs to be suited specifically to the camera. Is there even a gimbal designed for the GM1? Because I think I'd prefer the inferior image quality of a well-stabilized GoPro to a vibrating GM1.

The quality of the GoPro Hero 3+ is very inviting for the price–especially if I could buy a 5.8Ghz Phantom for simultaneous use with the GoPro WiFi for basic video downlink. Quite the deal for a RTF package.

I hope I've appropriately conveyed my aspirations. Please feel free to share any insights/recommendations and corrections. To summarize, specific questions from this inquiry are these:

1) Is there even a gimbal designed for the GM1?
2) With the 550 I could pick my own Tx/Rx system that operates at 5.8GHz, freeing me to use GoPro/GM1 at 2.4Ghz, correct?
3) Can I buy a P2 Vision and pull off the camera?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl