Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Legit question..
Is it possible..
Could you..
Would you even want or need to..
Tie 2 different types of antennas together? Such as..
Stock + L-coms.. or
L-coms + DBS

Just wondering if it's possible.. Or even a switch of some sort to switch from one to another even.?

Directional + Omni.??

Be cool to have back-up of a directional if your not pointed right, or if your coming over top of your head you wouldn't have to point the remote upwards.. bla bla Just random thoughts this morning.

Johnny[emoji41]

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

:eek: :)

Cool video turbo. I know that distance is not your main interest, but what was the longest distance away from you in this? It would be cool if you could do a picture in picture like the app shows on the screen with the map. Not criticizing at all. It would be interesting to see the numbers (distance from home and such). Overall though very good flying through all that without wiping out.

We need a " FPV Through the woods" thread. Won't be long I'll be posting too. [emoji16]

Good stuff turbo! Why did you cut the hitting the tree? Lol

Those alien guys, you didn't know their right is our left? Why you hit the tree.

JB back to work :(

We need a " FPV Through the woods" thread. Won't be long I'll be posting too. [emoji16]

Good stuff turbo! Why did you cut the hitting the tree? Lol

Those alien guys, you didn't know their right is our left? Why you hit the tree.

JB back to work :(

I like that idea.. You can start the post. :)
I didn't cut it, about 7:25 the rear swats that tree. it jumps a bit.

Cool video turbo. I know that distance is not your main interest, but what was the longest distance away from you in this? It would be cool if you could do a picture in picture like the app shows on the screen with the map. Not criticizing at all. It would be interesting to see the numbers (distance from home and such). Overall though very good flying through all that without wiping out.
That would be cool. i don't even pay attention how far away i am when i'm in the woods. Would be nice for reference.
What i have planned if the weather allows is to run the same path around the outside of those woods and down that off channel that i zig zag through. You notice i only follow it for a half mile or so. Signal is tough back there.
If i run that the same, it's open above, plenty of tree's and i will be able to look at my flight on Healthy Drone to get an idea how far out it is.
I'll find out were they disconnect.

Legit question..
Is it possible..
Could you..
Would you even want or need to..
Tie 2 different types of antennas together? Such as..
Stock + L-coms.. or
L-coms + DBS

Just wondering if it's possible.. Or even a switch of some sort to switch from one to another even.?

Directional + Omni.??

Be cool to have back-up of a directional if your not pointed right, or if your coming over top of your head you wouldn't have to point the remote upwards.. bla bla Just random thoughts this morning.

Johnny[emoji41]

Yes. That's possible both as switch and with coupler. Active diversity systems are available as well. Couplers +amps works fine. Using high gain directional and omni for close range is used in some (military) prof. Applications. It costs you a lot of money..

It costs you a lot of money..
My questions cost me $$$!! So addicted ;)

You've threw some interesting research my way. Even if I can't afford, it will be a good read.

Thanks IBV

JB

Reactions: hotashes
My questions cost me $$$!! So addicted ;)

You've threw some interesting research my way. Even if I can't afford, it will be a good read.

Thanks IBV

JB
There are some couplers that are quite ceap. However, proper Rx amplification is a "must be" then. Directional antennas on a tripod with a simple handle to turn them is very effective and not expensive.
If you fly more than a km out then following is easy. With a little training it's easy to know where the "center" of the antenna range is. I use this in warm weather as a fast deploy long range setup.It's not complex and rather cheap.
If you want to avoid mosquitos to tease you or freeze off you fingers you would need a pan/tilt unit to do the job. Also if flying in Wifi conjested areas or with a lot of trees around in closer range the pan/tilt unit does the job very well. But as some videos show, an omni antenna is sufficient for most scenarios. If you want to go long range with some trees in between and be extra safe... It costs you quite some money and time to screw all together and most of all test and adjust it (that's why i use these rails for fas mounting or magnet holders).
cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyB
It was more a curiosity question than anything. I'm on my very first mod. I'm like a few others in here that likes low penetration or skimming the ground flying.

I did research using a multiple antenna setup after reading your post. From what I gather, using multiple antennas, (example: Omni's + directional) would increase the amount of lag in video and adds an increased load on processing, which the bird isn't set up for. Would need extra components to compensate these differences. (Most simple explanation)

As a hobbiest, the read is as far as I go. Beating my stock setup and being able to set in my car, in a comfortable seat, with a cup holder will satisfy me. :) Much more than this is an overload in my simple mind. :/

I have Omni's on the roof, RF linx amps and an FPVLR setup coming. Got my hands full with this. May try DBS also this coming year.

This is my first year. Knowledge will gain over time.

JB

Last edited:
Reactions: hotashes
IBV, I also wanted to add, I looked at the pics of your setup for quite some time a while back.. very impressive. You're definitely in at full scale. Love it!

Reactions: IBV
It was more a curiosity question than anything. I'm on my very first mod. I'm like a few others in here that likes low penetration or skimming the ground flying.

I did research using a multiple antenna setup after reading your post. From what I gather, using multiple antennas, (example: Omni's + directional) would increase the amount of lag in video and adds an increased load on processing, which the bird isn't set up for. Would need extra components to compensate these differences. (Most simple explanation)

As a hobbiest, the read is as far as I go. Beating my stock setup and being able to set in my car, in a comfortable seat, with a cup holder will satisfy me. :) Much more than this is an overload in my simple mind. :/

I have Omni's on the roof, RF linx amps and an FPVLR setup coming. Got my hands full with this. May try DBS also this coming year.

JB

sounds you got a plan
The antenna system does not add any more lag than the amp itself and also not more processing. Actually, a more clear signal can help to reduce processing demands depending on the algorithms and technology for identifying digital data packages. Dji uses digital data transfer and the goal is to keep the data readable as much as possible. Lag can occur when additional processing steps are needed.

sounds you got a plan
The antenna system does not add any more lag than the amp itself and also not more processing. Actually, a more clear signal can help to reduce processing demands depending on the algorithms and technology for identifying digital data packages. Dji uses digital data transfer and the goal is to keep the data readable as much as possible. Lag can occur when additional processing steps are needed.
Thanks for clearing that up. My response I suppose was related more to the active diversity system which lead me to believe that signal reaching the antennas at a different time, tho milliseconds, would be the cause of lag? The diversity system bounces a signal from one antenna to the next, causing same effect? I'm I understanding correctly?
Sorry about all the crazy questions.. it's just an interesting subject. Don't care a bit to be wrong.. glad to have people to straighten me up. :)

Last edited:
Not trying to wear you out, but me not knowing much about this subject, I try to relate to something I do know. That being said, when I'm recording in stereo, and the mics are a different distance from the instrument, it cause the signal to be out of phase. I then have to reverse phase on one of the channels to correct. But the signal being out of phase was resulted from sound reaching the board at two different times. So you can see how it would make a person think that a signal reaching an omni/directional combo setup that their would be some sort of problem such as lag, or extra interference. I'm glad to hear that this is not the case. Since couplers are cheap as you said, I have no choice but to test this now..lol Thanks again.

Reactions: IBV and Turbomania
Omni's all the way for us people that don't know were we are @, Or should I say, were are bird is at :D

Funny you talk about a Diversity system. I just spent a week linking a Diversity Receiver to my other drone :eek:
Darn Spectrum Controller...

Reactions: IBV and JohnnyB
Not trying to wear you out, but me not knowing much about this subject, I try to relate to something I do know. That being said, when I'm recording in stereo, and the mics are a different distance from the instrument, it cause the signal to be out of phase. I then have to reverse phase on one of the channels to correct. But the signal being out of phase was resulted from sound reaching the board at two different times. So you can see how it would make a person think that a signal reaching an omni/directional combo setup that their would be some sort of problem such as lag, or extra interference. I'm glad to hear that this is not the case. Since couplers are cheap as you said, I have no choice but to test this now..lol Thanks again.

The cables should be equally long in such systems..

We need video evidence...lol
I hear yah about wanting to fly, weather has become an issue here on top of my awesome new work schedule.
Midnight to Noon.. WTH :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj