Flying from inside house or car anyone?

I still think it's cool, I'd like to buy these mountable antenna, as I looked around I saw all kinds, are these the $12 ones or the $60-$94 ones?
They are around 90. But you can use smaller ones too like the antennas that come with the suhans amps. They have great range as well but not exactly sure how far yet.

so do these antennae need to be powered or amplified or they just feed into the remote?

so do these antennae need to be powered or amplified or they just feed into the remote?

Either will work. My dji matrice 100 does excellent without amps. The p4 seems to lose control signal first and that's the opposite of the p3. Today I used the inspire 1 remote with 3w amps on the p4 and the omnies and it did great. Flew 3 miles 20ft off the ground never a drop out even behind trees. I think it must be because the p4 remote has less output power. However, the 20,000ft flight was with the p4 remote. I will try again with the inspire 1 remote. Don't know how much further I can go. I landed at 9 percent battery but the wind was against me that day. I will be back with more data in better conditions.

Last edited:
This is what I like to see. [emoji3] I would like to hook the transmitter to my big screen in the living room and fly around. Call it Enhanced Neighborhood Watch.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hdmi out is not working with the p4. I didn't get to mess with it much but after a few tries I gave up for now. I could get telemetry but no video. Soon as I unplug the hdmi pic comes back on tablet but not my big screen.

n017rw .. I think there is a difference between commenting like saying ' I would not fly from house or car because it is against regulation' which is very appropriate , however lecturing him for doing whatever he choose to do is not appropriate and it does not serve your purpose , since it would not change whatever he choose to do

Drop it lol.

OP, have you tried using those antennas without boosters?

Hope everyone has a great day:)

If anyone gets on here and try's to say they have never flown BVLOS then your a liar. Even if you can see your aircraft you still don't have LOS on obstacles. Id like to commend the OP. We should all get really good at flying FPV. It's the only way to keep LOS on immediate obstacles.

Indeed it will certainly make a tremendous difference in safety if one is flying sitting in the driver's seat looking through the windshield, or flying while standing next to the car. HUGE difference in safety there folks don't forget!

Common sense alone should alert you to how unsafe this is.

Indeed it will certainly make a tremendous difference in safety if one is flying sitting in the driver's seat looking through the windshield, or flying while standing next to the car. HUGE difference in safety there folks don't forget!
Ah glad you're here and have takin' a shining to me and my posts!

Care to talk about the safety of flying from within one's house while you are here?

This is getting old... If you don't like the topic or can't stay on topic then avoid the thread. The forum is not the drone police.

Seriously???
How many times do I need to warn people in-thread?
Next time it will be warnings in your inbox.

I have been flying from inside my truck for the past few weeks. I don't have a special antenna setup. I park facing the direction I intend to fly, hook the controller on the steering wheel via the handle, sit the bird next to the vehicle, and away she goes. This works amazingly well & I can't tell any difference in range from inside the truck vs. outside the truck, which makes sense as the glass should be transparent to the 2.4 Ghz signal. What I find even more amazing is how much control range I get to the sides & even rear through the cab & body panels. The comfort & built-in cup holder is a nice feature also! ;)

I am not a supporter of strict VLOS flight recommendations. I've been flying RC for nearly 40 years. In a bright sky, beyond a few hundred feet, you cannot see a Phantom. You certainly can't determine its orientation. VLOS RC rules are relics of an era when we had no telemetry or FPV available. You had NO CHOICE but to fly VLOS until recently. We have far more information, control, & safety features flying a Phantom via FPV than were ever available flying an old-school fixed-wing RC via VLOS. Even the FAA is coming to realize this and there are discussions about revamping the VLOS recommendation considering the features available in modern-day RC aircraft.

I certainly see NO DIFFERENCE in flying sitting in a vehicle through the glass (even with an external antenna) vs. standing next to the car. When flying beyond VLOS (which I do on EVERY flight) I don't see the harm in flying from within a house. JMHO.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this? And if so what's your indoor setup? Here is mine on my car. 20,000ft with room to go further. I also have a setup just like this for my house using high quality low loss cable with the same results!

I agree that it is much safer if you can fly inside your car. The glare coming from behind the pilot always impede the image on the screen (which is dangerous). Because of this, I turned to use FPV Goggles (Carl Zeiss Cinemizer).

While the Cinemizer eliminates the problem with the glare, it also reduce one's awareness of the surrounding where one stands. And you are liable to lose balance if you move (which I nearly did on several occasions), not to mention that you may become an obstruction if you happen to be standing on a passageway when others approach. That is why I see some people flying with FPV goggles chose to sit down while flying. Sitting inside the car is simply a wiser way of doing the same thing.

In any event I always remove my Cinemizer when the Phantom is landing so that I can be sure that it will not run into anything when flying low. Surely what would be safer if you can land your drone while controlling from inside the car. You can even have it parked on the roof of your car (provided it has a flat surface). I will definitely try it.

BTW there is only guidelines but no law governing the flying of drones below 3 kg. in Hong Kong. I do not see why you need to make a law for something unless and until it does become a real problem as opposed to hypothetical problem.

I don't understand as to why some feel this is unsafe to fly from inside. Our aircraft send all the information we need for a safe flight. I live on the edge of town I can lift off and if I go left I will fly into town if I go right I am over country side. I for the most part go out over the countryside and enjoy the view. No weather to contend with. No glaring sun to wash out my view or people coming to bug me about what I am doing.. If flying outside with directional antennas is your thing do it. I for one like to kick back inside and NOT have to point or orient my body to maintain connection to my craft and have the ability to go where ever I want while getting the same distance as the directional antennas or **** close to it.

I have been flying from inside my truck for the past few weeks. I don't have a special antenna setup. I park facing the direction I intend to fly, hook the controller on the steering wheel via the handle, sit the bird next to the vehicle, and away she goes. This works amazingly well & I can't tell any difference in range from inside the truck vs. outside the truck, which makes sense as the glass should be transparent to the 2.4 Ghz signal. What I find even more amazing is how much control range I get to the sides & even rear through the cab & body panels. The comfort & built-in cup holder is a nice feature also! ;)

I am not a supporter of strict VLOS flight recommendations. I've been flying RC for nearly 40 years. In a bright sky, beyond a few hundred feet, you cannot see a Phantom. You certainly can't determine its orientation. VLOS RC rules are relics of an era when we had no telemetry or FPV available. You had NO CHOICE but to fly VLOS until recently. We have far more information, control, & safety features flying a Phantom via FPV than were ever available flying an old-school fixed-wing RC via VLOS. Even the FAA is coming to realize this and there are discussions about revamping the VLOS recommendation considering the features available in modern-day RC aircraft.

I certainly see NO DIFFERENCE in flying sitting in a vehicle through the glass (even with an external antenna) vs. standing next to the car. When flying beyond VLOS (which I do on EVERY flight) I don't see the harm in flying from within a house. JMHO.

I did the same thing too for a while. Get yourself a small set of 2.4 magnetic antennas and try it. It makes the world of difference. I made it out 25,000 easily last week. Going to try for 30,000 this week. Maybe later today.

Reactions: bwheelz05

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj