Flying from Dublin to Brussels

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm flying from Dublin to Brussels and what to know if I can take the Phantom Vision.

Has anyone experienced if the security folk in Dublin or Brussels will have issue with bringing the phantom & batteries on as carry-on luggage?

Thanks Corncrake

I can't imagine you'll have much of a problem - your rear barrier will be the number of batteries you can carry. It varies from airline to airline - most have guidelines on what you can carry on battery wise.

Aer Lingus for example...

https://www.aerlingus.com/Services/Guid ... _Goods.pdf

" Lithium ion batteries, with a Watt-hour rating exceeding 100Wh but not
exceeding 160Wh for consumer electronic devices. No more than two spare
batteries may be carried in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be
individually protected to prevent short circuits. Equipment containing such
batteries may be in checked or carry-on baggage. "

They appear to only allow TWO spare batteries. I assume that's one in the device itself, and two spares. I have four, so I'd simply have to give the other battery to anyone else travelling with me as carry on. Then of course there's two FVP monitor batteries, rc controller batteries, and I usually have a dslr or something with me two, 3 or 4 batteries with it. Probably a mixture of battery types totalling ten or more. Nightmare!

I flew from Belfast to Bristol a few months ago with phantom, 2 batteries as carry on, Belfast international airport must not have seen many quadrotors before, everything was taken out of the case, swabbed, x-rayed TWICE. I know they have to be careful, but **** it's such a pain in the backside.

Coming back through Bristol, they didn't even open the case! I heard the x-ray operator talking to someone else and they knew what it was.

Just checked British Airways limits - much the same as Aer Lingus - just to give you an idea of what is allowed.

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/globa ... attery.pdf

If it helps, I flew from Bristol to Rome and back last month on EasyJet. I took my Phantom as carry-on in a purpose-made backpack with two batteries. I had no problems either way. Going, I mentioned the phantom to the x-ray machine operator who was very interested in it (from a friendly, technical point of view, not security). Coming back from Rome I said nothing and the backpack just went straight through without a hitch.

Dublin to Brussels is asking to much for a 5800 mAH battery. You might be able to do Dublin to just outside of Dublin. :p

RCRookie said:
Dublin to Brussels is asking to much for a 5800 mAH battery. You might be able to do Dublin to just outside of Dublin. :p

We're Dubliners, we'll find a way :)
Seriously though, I'd be interested in the answer. I'm waiting to get my passport back (long story) but I'll ask on the irish flyers fb page. Are you a member of that yet Corncrake?

Haha, when im allowed to release my passport story under the "freedom of information act 1997" I might just let you know

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
We're Dubliners, we'll find a way :)
Seriously though, I'd be interested in the answer. I'm waiting to get my passport back (long story) but I'll ask on the irish flyers fb page. Are you a member of that yet Corncrake?

:)

You will get a positive answer tomorrow, I hope. The weather / wind look good, so I don't want to leave it behind...

As for FB never joined... I think the whole interweb thing will blow over soon ;)

So all going well I will be flying this "pig with wings" in Belgium and France this weekend. I'm assuming the same common sense rules that apply in Ireland apply there too? i.e. Subject to land owners permission, must maintain the relative distance from structures and people and flight over any settlement, town, city, assembly of people is prohibited.

Any Belgians out there, to confirm?

Thanks Corncrake (John)

Just to let you know that I had zero security clearance issues bringing the phantom via Dublin to Brussels and back on the plane.

Was scanned multiple times on the way back from Brussels, but the staff were more interested than concerned.

The Belgium and Normandy landscape are perfect for multi-rotor flying (and eating/drinking).

pic_ter.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1