Flying during heavy pollen season?

Reaction score
I searched on this topic and got a few hits and interesting insights to the effects of heavy pollen on "drones". The general consensus is that yes pollen does get on and in components of your drone. The debate seems to be any adverse effects from negatively charged pollen particles.

I'm in Raleigh, NC and the pollen here this time of year is rediculously thick. I typically fly for an hour and my LCD screens are covered in pollen, more so then any other surface which leads me to agree that negatively charged pollen particles are in fact attracted to/ stick to positively charged electronics.

Is anyone else in a heavy pollen area concerned about this and/or does anyone else take preventative measures pre or post flight. If any measures taken, what exactly do you do or recommend doing?

I fly comercially and as of yet have not had to turn away a client due to pollen and wouldn't should I find comfort in it being a non issue or know that I can take preventative steps.

Thanks,
David

I'm posting this in both the P4P and Mavic Pro forums as I own and work with both.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
I searched on this topic and got a few hits and interesting insights to the effects of heavy pollen on "drones". The general consensus is that yes pollen does get on and in components of your drone. The debate seems to be any adverse effects from negatively charged pollen particles.

I'm in Raleigh, NC and the pollen here this time of year is rediculously thick. I typically fly for an hour and my LCD screens are covered in pollen, more so then any other surface which leads me to agree that negatively charged pollen particles are in fact attracted to/ stick to positively charged electronics.

Is anyone else in a heavy pollen area concerned about this and/or does anyone else take preventative measures pre or post flight. If any measures taken, what exactly do you do or recommend doing?

I fly comercially and as of yet have not had to turn away a client due to pollen and wouldn't should I find comfort in it being a non issue or know that I can take preventative steps.

Thanks,
David

I'm posting this in both the P4P and Mavic Pro forums as I own and work with both.
Fascinating and concerning topic that I never thought of. The pollen is thick here too. The only things that like it are my honey bees. You've got me thinking about a gentle blow-out with canned air, after every flight.

Thanks,
David

Used to live in Raleigh and do i remember those wonderful spring mornings when the pollen would be so thick on the car windows that I had to 'scrape' them before I could live for work. Don't think that the pollen will do the electronics any harm, it shouldn't actually get into the device. They are pretty well sealed. You could try putting the tablet in a baggie, but not sure how that would affect the touch screen. Wiping the screen off with a damp lens cloth (damp to help neutralize the static charge) should work ok. You're going to have some build up on the motors too.That might reduce motor cooling. I would use freon or other canned air to reverse flush them . Since air is being force down through the vents in the motor, blow it back from the bottom up.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
Used to live in Raleigh and do i remember those wonderful spring mornings when the pollen would be so thick on the car windows that I had to 'scrape' them before I could live for work. Don't think that the pollen will do the electronics any harm, it shouldn't actually get into the device. They are pretty well sealed. You could try putting the tablet in a baggie, but not sure how that would affect the touch screen. Wiping the screen off with a damp lens cloth (damp to help neutralize the static charge) should work ok. You're going to have some build up on the motors too.That might reduce motor cooling. I would use freon or other canned air to reverse flush them . Since air is being force down through the vents in the motor, blow it back from the bottom up.
You're a wise man. I'll be blowing the motors from now on until this green haze is no longer in the air

I searched on this topic and got a few hits and interesting insights to the effects of heavy pollen on "drones".
There is no way the pollen will not get into your drone as it is an open system with airflow.
Question is how much will get inside and what the effect will be. I can think of overheating issues.

On the other hand you might be lucky and your bird gets fertilized.
If you find eggs don't eat them. Maybe litlle Mavics are inside ;-)

Last edited:
Their is no way the pollen will not get into your drone as it is an open system with airflow.
Question is how much will get inside and what the effect will be. I can think of overheating issues.

On the other hand you might be lucky and your bird gets fertilized.
If you find eggs don't eat them. Maybe litlle Mavics are inside ;-)

Drone Chia-pets anyone?

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Gnats. Last week it was very warm and I was doing some low level stuff over an alfalfa field. Came in with gnat goo all over her. Wiped down the blades (do that all the time anyways post flight as I always get one or two), and this time had to wipe off entire aircraft. Did not open it up though. If I do encounter heavy gnat attacks regularly, I will have to open it up and clean......

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Gnats. Last week it was very warm and I was doing some low level stuff over an alfalfa field. Came in with gnat goo all over her. Wiped down the blades (do that all the time anyways post flight as I always get one or two), and this time had to wipe off entire aircraft. Did not open it up though. If I do encounter heavy gnat attacks regularly, I will have to open it up and clean......
Business opportunity: Bug Repellent strips for drones!

Just got back. Very windy and heavy pollen.

04e322b0103840d378b56d1452cc0ac1.jpg

I can't imagine it being any worse then the dust many of us encounter from taking off or flying near dirt roads.

THis place is loaded with dust (toxic waster area) and loads of Tree.

I guess at that point I would then use light compressed air after a flight to blow some of it out.

Omg.. seriously.. the propeller Even throw away light rain.. and you are Concerned about pollen? Get a life.. No way that pollen can do any any any harm as long as you fly and then "put baby in a corner"

Omg.. seriously.. the propeller Even throw away light rain.. and you are Concerned about pollen? Get a life.. No way that pollen can do any any any harm as long as you fly and then "put baby in a corner"

I don't think the poster deserved a "get a life" comment. He heard about a potential issue and is inquiring.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic