Flying Drone Through Fireworks Illegal and Unsafe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcne ... fireworks/

I find this almost amusing... Here we have tons of fireworks, balls of fire, flying everywhere over an open water... falling back to the ground... and people are making an issue about how unsafe the drone is in the same airspace being controlled by an operator. I personally believe the drone in the the same airspace is more safe to the people on the ground, than all the fireworks being launched around it.. just my two cents..

Well the video I saw had a GoPro ad tagged to the front I thought maybe GoPro had made the video with permission. I would think it would have taken several flights or more than one drone to make that video.

Also most times the fireworks are fired and detonated away from the general public. Thus if the quad was hit and came down, it would be a way from the general public.

Also think there was permission for this (which was amazing/awesome)

All risk assessments take into account many eventualities some of which are shells which do not necessarily follow the correct trajectory, or break in a tube which dislodges other tubes making other potentially dangerous trajectories, so a small drone will not introduce anything more dangerous to the normal practices and risks involved in a firework display. The only risk is the drone getting destroyed and dropping to the ground but if it does it will be within the fallout areas of all the other pyro material anyway so there is no problem IMHO as a display operator myself !

;)

cosmonaut said:
Well the video I saw had a GoPro ad tagged to the front I thought maybe GoPro had made the video with permission. I would think it would have taken several flights or more than one drone to make that video.

GoPro doesn't make those videos. Sometimes they commission or sponsor them but more often they find them, make a few changes and then repost them under their channel.

My opinion, the only thing that was at risk from that Phantom flight was the Phantom itself. Ballsy flying but no one was at risk. Operator should have blacked out their LEDs though. The Phantom should not be part of the show.

ianwood said:
Operator should have blacked out their LEDs though. The Phantom should not be part of the show.

Agree.

I flew through fireworks with the pyrotechnics display company's blessing this past weekend here in New York. The lawyer blogger linked by the OP seems to be splitting hairs, in fact he needed to update the story several times just to back-peddle. While he claims to be in favor of the hobby, this hobby does not need this type of fear mongering.

Just commented the article with:

I am disappointed that this article did not reflect the quality, accuracy and neutrality that I would expect from a quality publication such as Forbes. The matter is presented in an alarmist fashion and many of the points lack common sense or are just plain wrong.

As a licensed pilot and engineer, I do enjoy model aircrafts as a hobby. The “drone” or RC copter used to film this video is lot more like a fancy toy than anything else. It is made of mostly plastics and at weight of just over 2 pounds, can fly for about 15 minutes. Model aircrafts much larger and capable than these have taken to the sky for years; it is just the recent advances in electronics and reduction in camera cost that allows us to witness such amazing videos from a new perspective.

I’ve examined this video in detail and must conclude that the only thing put at risk is the actual RC copter (aka Drone) itself and no one else. The operator filmed the fireworks over water which as the article states, is in a safety zone where people and vessels are not supposed to enter. If the RC copter does get hit and falls to the water, no one will likely even notice given all that fire and debris raining down over the same area. The assertion that the RC copter could deflect a firework into the crowd is rather ridiculous given the low likelihood of impact and the even lower change that a 2 pound piece of plastic near the detonation altitude would have any significant effect on the firework’s trajectory. Note that even a small Canada goose weights 6lb, about 3 times as massive as this aerial camera platform. That puts us to the 3rd point; the assertion that the fireworks operator should stop the show due to an “intrusion” to the safety area just lacks common sense, as this would have meant they would stop the show for a single goose or large bat (we’re not even talking a larger bird like a heron or pelican) that strayed in the area.

As a pilot of full sized aircrafts, I do understand that these new technology shines a spotlight on the need for safety and rules. However, we as a society should embrace development and give freedom the benefit of the doubt, least we become a police state much like those we tried to change the regimes of. We must be fight the urge to over-regulate in the name of “safety”, as any reasonable regulations will not prevent a person with mal-intent from causing harm (they would just ignore the rules) but would have a serious chilling effect on this emerging technology and the various innovations plus business opportunities it will bring.

Model aviation is not just for fun and games. The hours of building, tinkering with electronics and radio equipment leading to a few minutes of flight provides invaluable inspiration for the next generation of scientist and engineers. These are the people who will continue to push the envelope of technology and help ensure this nation remains a leader in this field.

Let’s just enjoy the fireworks, from the ground and from the air.

macheung said:
Let’s just enjoy the fireworks, from the ground and from the air.

Well said that man !!!

;)

Thanks for the compliment, please feel free to go to the article and call out the comment so more people San see just what is wrong with the article. Note that the oldest comments are shown first, is this one will be on one if the last pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20