Flying down instead of UP

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Iam just starting with my P2V+ and made some good flights already.
My prop guards did there work already, especially when landing on soft surface's.
Already had a connection lost and an automatic return home
from 109 meters high just when I felt that I was getting the hang of it......pfff
Already had a satellite lost and automatic landing....above a grass field
Still flying in Phantom mode....want to switch over to Naza to have more control (auto landing take over)

I was wondering what will happen if you want to fly downwards, lets say from a mountain or cliff and then down into the void.
Iam afraid I will loose my connections.... or does it not matter, just point all the antenna's down and off you go?

And if I loose connection it will goto homepos+20 meters, so if Iam down 50meters then it will go up 50 = same level als home and then an extra 20 meters up
and then fly home procedure

regards

Mork

Huh?? "Point all the antennas?" I have no idea what you are talking about! Your ground antenna should stay perpendicular to the ground. And "all" antennas? How many antennas do you see? I only know of one antenna that is transmitting command data - that is the white one that is on top of the controller.

And when you say flying downwards, you are just talking about descending aren't you? Not sure what you mean by a void, but if you start descending into a narrow fissure, all bets may be off. I wouldn't do that. I would assume, for safety's sake, that you should stay operating on line-of-sight.

Having said all that, you have more experience with your Phantom than I do, so maybe I am just misunderstanding you.

slothead said:
Huh?? "Point all the antennas?" I have no idea what you are talking about! Your ground antenna should stay perpendicular to the ground. And "all" antennas? How many antennas do you see? I only know of one antenna that is transmitting command data - that is the white one that is on top of the controller.

And when you say flying downwards, you are just talking about descending aren't you? Not sure what you mean by a void, but if you start descending into a narrow fissure, all bets may be off. I wouldn't do that. I would assume, for safety's sake, that you should stay operating on line-of-sight.

Having said all that, you have more experience with your Phantom than I do, so maybe I am just misunderstanding you.

Hi Slothead,

Maybe I was not clear, I want to fly from the top of a mountain down into the valley.
Just point the 5ghz control antenna down and put the 2.4ghz wifi booster down and keep my
Phantom in line of sight.

Will that work fine?

Ofcourse i can travel into the valley and start from there and fly up

Did exactly that today and yes if you fly down, the return to home will climb to 0+20 and come home.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403378859.307378.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403378859.307378.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 533
No don't move your 5.8 antenna. "Pointing" it is not right. You want the large side of the antenna pointed in the direction of the Phantom, not the tip. If you go straight up over your head, then you need to point the antenna straight out along the ground.

Think about where in this picture you want the Phantom to be. Not in the hole at the top where there are no waves. You always want the phantom to be to the "side" of the antenna.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403379145.898250.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403379145.898250.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 483
myvrodrocks said:
Think about where in this picture you want the Phantom to be. Not in the hole at the top where there are no waves. You always want the phantom to be to the "side" of the antenna.

Havent seen a diagram like that in a long while and I've been looking for one to show someone, thanks. Excellent advice!

Mork said:
slothead said:

Hi Slothead,

Maybe I was not clear, I want to fly from the top of a mountain down into the valley.
Just point the 5ghz control antenna down and put the 2.4ghz wifi booster down and keep my
Phantom in line of sight.

Will that work fine?

Ofcourse i can travel into the valley and start from there and fly up

Yep that makes a lot more sense to me. And I don't think you need to go down in the valley.

Just remember that the antenna is a ground plane antenna and the ground is what creates the bottom edge of that diagram (and in fact it is bisected midway and that is where the ground reflects the signal to create the entire pattern. My point is that the ground (Earth) is what creates the orientation of the pattern so you don't want to "point the antenna down." And of course this is all black magic anyway, so I won't make any promises! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik