Flying down below ground elevation

Reaction score
Anyone fly below your starting point? Ex: I want to fly over a cliff down into a canyon. My question is if I take off(set home point)at say elevation 1000' and fly it down to elevation 920' over the cliff side if I lose sight of have to use the RTH function what will it do? Go up 60' above the home lock elevation point? I'm dying to try as there's a nice waterfall that drops about 200+' but cant find the balls to do it. Thoughts???
Thanks

According to the book if home point is set correctly and RTH is set as return and land then the Phantom will rise to 1060 feet and return to home point..

Should be fine but be prepared to fly in ATTI if/when the GPS drops out.

That's what I thought as I have read that but was hoping someone has already tried this and wanted some results. I typically fly in ATTI mode 80-90% of the time. Thanks.

Why would the GPS mode be lost (aside from just because)?

Satellite loss becuase of the cliff face blocking reception?

2014fc40 said:

Satellite loss becuase of the cliff face blocking reception?
Dunno good question.

2014fc40 said:
Poor satellite reception. Satellite loss becuase of the cliff face blocking reception. For instance, let's just say he flies close to the cliff face. Perfect satellite reception is now behind him. Below and in front of him is the cliff face blocking some satellite reception. You've now lost GPS satellite(s). Just like buildings and trees can block them as well.

OK, I got that one right then.

Now, lets say he's flying down the cliff and losses a couple of sats. What would happen? Would the inability to maintain its bearings be really pronounced? As in jetting off in one direction or another? Wouldnt the remaining sats be enough to allow it to keep its relative position in check?

OK, lets say "poof" you lost three sats. Now, would ATT mode REALLY give you more control? At least with GPS mode you had the assist of a few sats. With ATT mode, you have none right?

Not trying to make a point, I'm just curious really... :ugeek:

In GPS mode it needs at least a minimum of 6 satellites. (Refer to the manual for more info.) Or, turn off your GPS mode and try flying yours in ATTI mode and see how it reacts yourself without the GPS mode. That should immediately answer many of your questions.

K, maybe Monday morn.

Ya'll got me wondering....I want to do an RTH test too, but with a new gimbal, I'm hesitant...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic