Flying different props

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, I tried searching to no avail. My phantom crashed and bent a prop. My friend had 2 spare props but they are the CF ones. Am I even going to notice or do I need to change anything in the settings to compensate? I'd just go test it, but I just got them a few minutes ago and I'm curious.

Don't try flying with mis-matched props (2 stock and 2 CF) if that's what you're thinking about doing...the differences in handling and response will drive your poor NAZA nuts.

I actually once crashed out in the field, and accidentally put a different prop on (not CF, but one that had less pitch).
..and I could barely tell the different in how it flew.

tho I think it's naturally ideal to fly with 4 of the same props.

I'm flying two different sets atm, though both are DJI plastic.

One set of the grey ones and one set of the red-tipped ones.

Haven't had any problems to speak of (yet).

I don't think that here is any difference in performance of the DJI grey and standard white and the color tipped props.

KG4MXV said:
I don't think that here is any difference in performance of the DJI grey and standard white and the color tipped props.

correct. DJI plastic props are identical regardless of any coloring.
the plastic vs carbon fiber theoretically have different performance characteristics just doesn't seem wise when you can pick up another set of matching props for $20

QYV said:
KG4MXV said:

correct. DJI plastic props are identical regardless of any coloring.
the plastic vs carbon fiber theoretically have different performance characteristics just doesn't seem wise when you can pick up another set of matching props for $20

I can and did order some. I just live on an island in the caribbean and it takes 2 weeks to get mail.

VolcomSurfer said:
I can and did order some. I just live on an island in the caribbean and it takes 2 weeks to get mail.
ah indeed that is certainly an extra challenge. In my first 2 weeks of flying between me and my friends I think we went through about 8 or 10 props. I'd recommend picking up plenty of spares :)

Didn't even have a chance to fly it today :(

It was flying funny before, which is why the thing crashed and the prop bent in the first place. So I figured I'd change the prop and calibrate the compass. I went out today and turned on the controller and plugged the battery in but it wouldn't find any GPS sats. I unplugged it, then plugged it back in and took a few steps back then it just started beeping. A single beep from the actual airframe at regular intervals. I did a quick research and some people are saying that something inside might have been disconnected. :\ I have to do some homework tonight so I won't be able to take it apart until I'm finished my paper. The worst part about UAVs is the anticipation of flying!

i am running DSLRpros CF props for the moment. all seems well. no issues 5/5 flights
they do make me nervous after hearing all the horror stories related to CF's
however DSLRpros CF props come with a balancer and are factory balanced.
they seem better then knock off CF props :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl