Flying by compass heading?

No. It's not a feature of DJI GO.

I posted this on another forum. It will. better explain why I would like to have a Compass Rose in the App:

"No, not a trick question. I'm fly both the Standard and the Pro. Only been at it for a couple of months now. But here is what I do. I located interesting sites out on the desert in Google Earth or in my TOPO Map program. Then I create a waypoint for that location and load it into my handheld GPS unit. Among other things, I hunt for long forgotten aircraft crash sites. Then I go out in the field and select that particular waypoint. I then select the "Go To" feature to determine the compass heading and distance to that point. I use a hand held compass to determine which way to fly and then launch the drone. Without a precise compass heading indicator on the App, I have to pick a point on the horizon and fly toward that to hold course. That works as long as I can physically see the drone. The little arrow icon helps, but sometimes I get off a bit'.

'I know there is a program that will allow me to create a flight plan, but I don't want to spend the money for that. And, I already have hundreds of waypoints stored in my GPS unit, and may pick any one of them depending on where I may be at the time'.

I understand that I may be doing this the hard way. So I'm asking the forum for advice. I'll have to look again, but I don't think the icon shows individual degrees"

I posted this on another forum. It will. better explain why I would like to have a Compass Rose in the App:

"No, not a trick question. I'm fly both the Standard and the Pro. Only been at it for a couple of months now. But here is what I do. I located interesting sites out on the desert in Google Earth or in my TOPO Map program. Then I create a waypoint for that location and load it into my handheld GPS unit. Among other things, I hunt for long forgotten aircraft crash sites. Then I go out in the field and select that particular waypoint. I then select the "Go To" feature to determine the compass heading and distance to that point. I use a hand held compass to determine which way to fly and then launch the drone. Without a precise compass heading indicator on the App, I have to pick a point on the horizon and fly toward that to hold course. That works as long as I can physically see the drone. The little arrow icon helps, but sometimes I get off a bit'.

'I know there is a program that will allow me to create a flight plan, but I don't want to spend the money for that. And, I already have hundreds of waypoints stored in my GPS unit, and may pick any one of them depending on where I may be at the time'.

I understand that I may be doing this the hard way. So I'm asking the forum for advice. I'll have to look again, but I don't think the icon shows individual degrees"

Lack of AC heading numeric data in Go app is something I never understood. That is useful in so many situations and implementing it shouldn't be any problem since app already has AC heading info shown in that arrow thingy.

Last edited:
It would be simple to add but they didn't do it. And neither did Litchi. I guess they didn't consider it a priority. You can only jam so much info onto a tiny screen...

Depending on how much wind there is and how far you are going, flying a compass heading will not necessarily get you accurately to your position. GPS is much better. Can't you just set a waypoint in the DJI GO app?
It's my understanding that you have to fly to the point of interest first before you can set the waypoint. That kind of defeats the purpose. In my case, I already have waypoints in my handheld GPS unit. They were old crash sites, or points of interest I've spotted in Google Earth. I want to send the drone out to have a look first. So I use the "GoTo" feature in my handheld GPS to get a compass heading and distance. I then need to fly the drone on that heading for that distance to see what is out there. I know that a crosswind will have an affect on this method if it is only showing the direction the drone is facing and not the actual track. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Last edited:
An after thought: Maybe a bearing and distance to the drone would be good in my situation. The wind would not be much of a factor. I would just fly out to the distance required and then fly left or right until the bearing to the drone matches the compass heading I needed. The DJI app already shows the distance. I would just need the bearing.

Unless I'm missing something I'm thinking Litchi or Autopilot. Both allow you to define a GPS waypoint as a mission and fly to it. No need to go to the spot first with the bird and set a waypoint, it can be set at your desk and simply fire up and fly.

If there's an obstacle in between just add multiple waypoints to the mission as an avoidance.

Unless I'm missing something I'm thinking Litchi or Autopilot. Both allow you to define a GPS waypoint as a mission and fly to it. No need to go to the spot first with the bird and set a waypoint, it can be set at your desk and simply fire up and fly.

If there's an obstacle in between just add multiple waypoints to the mission as an avoidance.
You're right. I have not used Litchi. But I'm told that you can create missions from the PC with it, and then install them in the Drone. But you can't do that with the DJI app

You're right. I have not used Litchi. But I'm told that you can create missions from the PC with it, and then install them in the Drone. But you can't do that with the DJI app
Yeah, I have Litchi. I know I can go to Mission Hub, create a mission, have full control of the waypoint to set location, height, orientation, etc. Has a learning curve but sounds like it perfectly fits the bill for what you're looking for. I guess the question is whether it's worth $22.99 for you. I think there's a lot more capability in these drones than DJI is giving us.

Yeah, I have Litchi. I know I can go to Mission Hub, create a mission, have full control of the waypoint to set location, height, orientation, etc. Has a learning curve but sounds like it perfectly fits the bill for what you're looking for. I guess the question is whether it's worth $22.99 for you. I think there's a lot more capability in these drones than DJI is giving us.
Is that $22.99 per month? If so, then yes! That's too much for me for what I want to do. I'll find another way. I might take a look at Litchi anyway.

Is that $22.99 per month? If so, then yes! That's too much for me for what I want to do. I'll find another way. I might take a look at Litchi anyway.

It is $23 single payment. I have it and it is worth every cent. I would still like to have numeric heading in both Litchi and Go though.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It is $23 single payment. I have it and it is worth every cent. I would still like to have numeric heading in both Litchi and Go though.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Let me add my 2 cents worth in favor of Litchi! Works as advertised. It would be my recommendation for grandpa don. Don't know what tablet/phone you use, but Litchi is available for both android and iOS (I use it on an iPad mini 4)

Let me add my 2 cents worth in favor of Litchi! Works as advertised. It would be my recommendation for grandpa don. Don't know what tablet/phone you use, but Litchi is available for both android and iOS (I use it on an iPad mini 4)
Thanks, I may look into Litchi a little more. After the Grand kids get the out of here! They go home today! I need piece and quiet when I'm trying to learn something new. When they are here, Sponge Bob is always competing for my attention.

It would be simple to add but they didn't do it. And neither did Litchi. I guess they didn't consider it a priority. You can only jam so much info onto a tiny screen...
I think one day soon, perhaps not tomorrow, (are you listening DJI?), the compass bearing, true, not magnetic, will be audibly announced each tim it changes. The lovely little litchi lady saying "turned to heading two one niner" .. etc. ... It's a comin ..

We really don't need it visually displayed ...

I think one day soon, perhaps not tomorrow, (are you listening DJI?), the compass bearing, true, not magnetic, will be audibly announced each tim it changes. The lovely little litchi lady saying "turned to heading two one niner" .. etc. ... It's a comin ..

We really don't need it visually displayed ...
I can just hear it now: Litchi Lady, "Turn right heading one-five-five, climb to and maintain 400, Squawk 3012, report crossing that big tree!" I just hope I don't have to read it back!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic