Flying behind obstacles and buildings?

Reaction score
I am very interested in Phantom 3 and I know that the general rule is to always be in the line of sight. I was just wondering if it's possible to somehow fly and record beyond obstacles such as hills or buildings? Are there any additional accessories which can improve this area or will the Phantom3 always lose control when doing this?

Also, it is possible that in case you lose control you pre-program the drone to lift itself to a higher alltitude and then flies back home?

Are there any other drones that are capable of this perhaps? I would need this functionality for the kind of work I want to do.

Thanks

The P3 is programmed to return home in the event of a loss of signal ......the height it comes back at can be set in the app.
With regard to flying behind obstacles, there are various range extenders available which will give a degree of extra penetration through trees etc., but solid objects are pretty much a no go.

Until the Waypoints option is introduced shortly.
Using that you can map out a route which can include areas where signal might be lost.
However you won't see any images until it comes back and you check the SD card.
According to you The P3 itself is able to record waypoints?

Playaz I do this all the time so it's possible .goto dbsmods.com and buy there antenna range extender and this will help keeping your signal stronger

Reactions: phantom13flyer
According to you The P3 itself is able to record waypoints?
Yes. Or, more accurately, can with upgraded firmware and apps that are expected to be released in the coming weeks/months. It is possible now with 3rd party apps (litchi for android, for example, which is in alpha testing for the P3) and the dji beta sdk firmware. You can create waypoints for an autonomous mission on the app, on the web, or by "dropping" waypoints from the P3. These create a mission that is loaded to the p3, which then completes the mission.

Changing out antennas to the dbs phantom will certainly help out. The dbs phantom can penetrate through some obstacles. It just depends on some other factors as to how well it will. Such as the range these obstacles are away or the height of these obstacles. But for 100 dollars it will most definitely increase the reliability of your signal 10 fold.
Dbsmods.com

With the Vision plus you more or less drop pins at (realistic) points on the map - and indicate the altitude to reach at that point.
Once you press start it will complete the mission unless you abort within control range.
As soon as you are out of control range - which soon happens with the Visions! - you just have to trust it and wait.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Definitely make sure you've set an appropriate return home height. If you do lose signal behind something, you want to be sure it will get up and over that obstacle before heading home. It won't go the route you sent it to get there, it will go up to a preset height, and then make a beeline straight back to launch point, and if that height is lower than the obstacle, it will fly straight into it. You set this height in the software.
There are plenty of YouTube clips of people going around behind towering Mesas etc, only to have the bird then pretty much fly straight into that same Mesa as the bird loses signal and tries to take the short route back home.

Range extenders and better antennae etc will help, but it does depend on the obstacle. Soil and concrete are pretty good at blocking signals. If you plan on going around behind a hill or building, then you'll be lucky if any mods will help with that unless you're very close to the tip of it, and got some amazing gear.

Playaz I do this all the time so it's possible .goto dbsmods.com and buy there antenna range extender and this will help keeping your signal stronger

You have any examples of your footage when doing this?

Just remember it's a radio signal and objects block it or reflect it. Going behind any object you are subject to loss of signal and in two seconds it will start the RTH sequence. If you have a friend with a P2V+ he can do around the object with POI circling or using the way points. You could get the video you need that way. If not you'll have to wait until,that's available on the P3.

I fly 500m+ across many houses 1 street and stacks of trees and then land on a football oval...so it must just depend on the actual size/material that blocks signals cos at the moment houses don't block mine..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj