Flying at night a good idea?

Reaction score
Do you recommend it? How often do you find yourself flying your P4 at night?

It just started raining right as I was about to shoot the sunset [emoji25] I've flown twice today already, got nagged by several security officers in central London but can't wait to fly more though! This is really addicting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it sometimes. Here in the US the FAA frowns on it but I don't think there's much they can do about unless you actually cause trouble. They really want us to keep the drone IN SIGHT at all times. Personally, I can see the drone with its lights on at night better that I can see the drone at day time.

It's illegal in the UK, but if your other posts are anything to go by you're going to do it anyway. You've only had your P4 for five minutes, but you seem hell bent on breaking every rule in the book. Your shots of St Pauls are just the sort of thing that gives ammunition to the people who want to introduce even tighter regulations on where and how we can fly. You're lucky you only got nagged, and didn't have your drone confiscated.
You may be having fun, but you're going to make it a lot harder for the rest of us who want to enjoy flying.

It's illegal in the UK, but if your other posts are anything to go by you're going to do it anyway. You've only had your P4 for five minutes, but you seem hell bent on breaking every rule in the book. Your shots of St Pauls are just the sort of thing that gives ammunition to the people who want to introduce even tighter regulations on where and how we can fly. You're lucky you only got nagged, and didn't have your drone confiscated.
You may be having fun, but you're going to make it a lot harder for the rest of us who want to enjoy flying.

Nice one Rockydog. The officers around the area already know me well, and know I'm harmless [emoji6]

As for night flying it's not that much fun as it turns out. I'll stick to flying during the day!

You might be harmless but your P4 will not be if it drops on someone. I hope the CAA are monitoring this site - your actions are irresponsible and frankly idiotic.

fyi I work in one of the Paternoster Sq buildings visible in your St Pauls photos and I dont want people flying drones over me and my colleagues.

where is the law that says its illegal? I have looked but cant find anything in any of the CAA literature.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: PaulJohn
CAP 658 Article 166 part c "The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions."

You will struggle to argue that you can do that in the dark.

CAP 658 can be found here

And incidently dont think that having insurance from BMFA etc will protect you if you drone drops on someones head if you are flying illegally - because it won't !

Well, I'm not from the UK and don't really know your laws. BUT...you say "You will struggle to argue that you can do that in the dark." Again, if the drone is lit it alleviates that issue. In my own experience I can see a lit drone at night better than I can see it in daylight. Where its at, where its going, etc. Based on the law you posted, its wording frankly leaves a lot of wiggle room and open to interpretation. Fly safe is the big thing. Day, night, what's the difference?

Based on the law you posted, its wording frankly leaves a lot of wiggle room and open to interpretation. Fly safe is the big thing. Day, night, what's the difference?

Amen to that brother [emoji1]

Well, I'm not from the UK and don't really know your laws. BUT...you say "You will struggle to argue that you can do that in the dark." Again, if the drone is lit it alleviates that issue. In my own experience I can see a lit drone at night better than I can see it in daylight. Where its at, where its going, etc. Based on the law you posted, its wording frankly leaves a lot of wiggle room and open to interpretation. Fly safe is the big thing. Day, night, what's the difference?
As you say you don't know our laws. There is no wiggle room - would you drive your car at night without the headlights on ? Yes you can see your drone but that's not the issue - the issue is can you see the things you might fly it into. If you fly your drone at night and crash it into something and cause damage a defence of "It was not lit I did not see it" will not stand up in court.

Every thread consists of crying about regulations and negativity. Do whatever you want and be responsible for your actions. I can't imagine flying at night being fun unless you're in a well lit area to orient yourself.

Unfortunately the OP already has form for doing "whatever you want" which judging from his photos includes flying his drone in the Central London River Thames Heli Lane - I wonder if he will be happy to take responsibility when he brings a Helicopter down !

Droning in the UK already has a very poor public perception and the irresponsible actions of people like the OP only make this worse - what's his next trick going to be - night flying around Heathrow perhaps ?

Here we go with the crybabies and the what ifs again. Stop crying and whining about every little thing. Good god dude you might get hit by a plane falling out of the sky, you might have a heart attack and **** the bed today, you might drive into a tree,. Who cares. As for the night flying, do it just don't be an *** about it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: neild and PaulJohn
CAP 658 Article 166 part c "The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions."

You will struggle to argue that you can do that in the dark.

CAP 658 can be found here

And incidently dont think that having insurance from BMFA etc will protect you if you drone drops on someones head if you are flying illegally - because it won't !

Cheers birdingbilly, this doesn't say that you cant fly at night, only that you must "...maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft..."
Its no different to flying during the day, the lights on the phantom allow you to clearly see it in the night sky. Any other aircraft in the sky will have lights on so you can see them. As long as you are flying below 120m then no aircraft should be in that airspace (Although anything is possible, if a services helicopter is in the air you would land straight away anyway.) as for the flight itself, as long as you have risk assessed the airspace during daylight it shouldn't be a problem.

Not being disrespectful rockydog but saying its illegal to fly at night in the UK is incorrect. You will only be breaking the law if you fly out of sight or with your aircraft's lights turned off.

Its all about planning. As long as you think ahead and fly safe you will be ok.

P.S. Get some lights for your landing pad. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to land in total darkness.

Reactions: jpj027 and PaulJohn
Drones are under a micro scope! Guy in a jet pack crashed in Denver today. Faa was called in...the local news brought up drones. Huh...what the hell does a drone and a jet pack have in common? The news channels love doing negative stories on drones and are chomping at he bit for a big gory story! Be careful with the decisions you make as a drone pilot because if things turn to ****, it can effect us all.

Drones are under a micro scope! Guy in a jet pack crashed in Denver today. Faa was called in...the local news brought up drones. Huh...what the hell does a drone and a jet pack have in common? The news channels love doing negative stories on drones and are chomping at he bit for a big gory story! Be careful with the decisions you make as a drone pilot because if things turn to ****, it can effect us all.

I can't wait until the .gov makes drones legal/available to news stations. You know they all want one. Then due to the climate of fear that the media created idiots will shoot them down left and right. Sweet sweet karma and justice. :D

I can't wait until the .gov makes drones legal/available to news stations. You know they all want one. Then due to the climate of fear that the media created idiots will shoot them down left and right. Sweet sweet karma and justice. :D

Wow, never thought about it before, great point! Hopefully they're allowed to use them soon! Just imagine how much better the news will look [emoji23]

Wow, never thought about it before, great point! Hopefully they're allowed to use them soon! Just imagine how much better the news will look [emoji23]

Lol
Well, it seems some of the Brits are getting upset at the OP, it this the guy that posted like his first flight downtown London? And (to me) looked like he sport mode'ed up and down the Thames a couple times! Lol, I actually thought "wow that guys ballsie for his first time" I have seven (lol I know right) 7 whole hours and haven't done anything even close to that kind of flying.
Some ppl think these are toasters, that it's in a box from Best Buy or wherever and they'll just do exactly why you want with nary a problem, ever, signal noise be damned!! It may be a generation thing, being a retired mechanic (Pipefitter) and RC hobbiest for years and years, I'm prolly one of the more "afraid" guys. As a matter of fact, hell my first 4-5 flights I was sweating and all nervous and shaking, expecting it to fall out of the sky at any time, couldn't believe how after 30+ flights 100% of all flying time was phenomenal.
I just don't know if attacking the guy, or being belligerent in any way, and not that there's a lot of that going on, but it might be better to explain to the OP these are subsequent to crashing and damaging property or injuries and can cost you money if any type of misjudgment, miscommunication, lapse in objective thinking, a small error can lead to real injuries to ppl, to me that would be the worst, to think I'd hurt someone because I wasn't thinking like an adult, or for some, like a human being, forget the drone, how'd you feel if you really hurt some poor sob, or their kid. So we can set aside the laws and such for a second, where you live and regulations, and just think objectively about, you know, how close are you to people? How well do you know how to fly? Is the environment a good one to fly in? Not just for humans, some places might look great, but not if some animals are using that air space to hunt or mate, i know I'm reaching, but we should all keep these in mind, the better we garrison ourselves, the less impact we'll have on society, or less negative impact anyway, the media doesn't have a story on the family that had a great day draining 4 batteries and some great footage of a family day out, no they'll air the story of the jack face who crashed into hwy 101 because he was hovering only 30' from the highway at 300' up, or the crazy guy downtown or on the beach scaring ppl.

We all have different interest and some guys don't fear crashing, or even cops, or hurting ppl like some of us others, doesn't mean they want too, they just didn't SEE it that way, they took it for what DJI kinda claims, it's 100% safe all the time everywhere! (That's kinda how DJI sell the P4 so you can't really blame the OP) But at least he's on here and he seems to want to learn and know things, maybe in hindsight he's like "whoa! I can't believe I just flew my stuff around like that!" Lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4