Flying at a reservoir this weekend...

How many drones have gone into reseviours? So there is no real indication that this is an issue. I don't want Styrofoam in my drinking water either, are they banning cups from the area?

If you are trying to argue the point I think you quoted the wrong person ;)

Only the FAA can create a "no-fly" zone. All the local authorities can do is probit takeoff and landing.
What about takeoff and landing from private Property? I'm wanting to take some pics of some beach houses, I plan on being on the roof top decks for the flights.Yes,I will have permission from everyone of them.
I know the local authority will confront me .Im pretty sure there are no specific laws banning it

Exclusive Authority
From Dronelaw.com:
State and local governments have considered legislation that purports to regulate drone flight, but if challenged in court, any such laws would be considered preempted by the federal government's intent to "occupy the field," and therefore be invalid. By federal statute, "[t]he United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States" (49 U.S. Code § 40103(a)(1)). The passage of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, (Senate Bill, Section 607(g)) confirms the federal government's intent to continue to "occupy the field" of flight, thereby invalidating (through preemption) any state or local laws that purport to regulate it.​

State and local governments may, however, regulate two things related to flight:
They may regulate their own agencies' drone flight operations; and
They may regulate the locations from which drones may be launched or landed, except in an emergency.​

That's it. State and local governments cannot regulate drones in any other manner.​

This doesn't stop local authorities who would pass local laws to promote their political ambitions. It doesn't cost them anything to pass illegal laws and there's generally little cost to defend those illegal laws, while the target of those laws often pay dearly to be right.

FAA authority for flight begins when the aircraft is in flight. (In manned aircraft, the flight is considered to begin when the engines start and end when the engines shut down.)

Who owns the airspace above a home?
In the 1946 case U.S. vs. Causby, the Supreme Court said landowners have exclusive right of airspace surrounding their property. In part, the decision says:
"If the landowner is to have full enjoyment of the land, he must have exclusive control of the immediate reaches of the enveloping atmosphere. Otherwise buildings could not be erected, trees could not be planted, and even fences could not be run. . . . The landowner owns at least as much of the space above the ground as he can occupy or use in connection with the land."
This became the “enveloping atmosphere” rule, holding that a landowner owns as much of the airspace above his or her property to which he or she can reasonably use, and any invasion of that airspace is a trespass subject to damages. Likewise, that airspace above the “immediate reaches above the land” is part of the public domain, not subject to trespass. [Cite]

This decision has been used in defending airports rights to exist ever since people started moving to homes near an airport only to complain about the noise.

Last edited:
How many drones have gone into reseviours? So there is no real indication that this is an issue. I don't want Styrofoam in my drinking water either, are they banning cups from the area?
And I really dont like the taste of bird **** either.

Exclusive Authority
From Dronelaw.com:
State and local governments have considered legislation that purports to regulate drone flight, but if challenged in court, any such laws would be considered preempted by the federal government's intent to "occupy the field," and therefore be invalid. By federal statute, "[t]he United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States" (49 U.S. Code § 40103(a)(1)). The passage of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, (Senate Bill, Section 607(g)) confirms the federal government's intent to continue to "occupy the field" of flight, thereby invalidating (through preemption) any state or local laws that purport to regulate it.​

State and local governments may, however, regulate two things related to flight:
They may regulate their own agencies' drone flight operations; and
They may regulate the locations from which drones may be launched or landed, except in an emergency.​

That's it. State and local governments cannot regulate drones in any other manner.​

This doesn't stop local authorities who would pass local laws to promote their political ambitions. It doesn't cost them anything to pass illegal laws and there's generally little cost to defend those illegal laws, while the target of those laws often pay dearly to be right.

FAA authority for flight begins when the aircraft is in flight. (In manned aircraft, the flight is considered to begin when the engines start and end when the engines shut down.)

Who owns the airspace above a home?
In the 1946 case U.S. vs. Causby, the Supreme Court said landowners have exclusive right of airspace surrounding their property. In part, the decision says:
"If the landowner is to have full enjoyment of the land, he must have exclusive control of the immediate reaches of the enveloping atmosphere. Otherwise buildings could not be erected, trees could not be planted, and even fences could not be run. . . . The landowner owns at least as much of the space above the ground as he can occupy or use in connection with the land."
This became the “enveloping atmosphere” rule, holding that a landowner owns as much of the airspace above his or her property to which he or she can reasonably use, and any invasion of that airspace is a trespass subject to damages. Likewise, that airspace above the “immediate reaches above the land” is part of the public domain, not subject to trespass. [Cite]

This decision has been used in defending airports rights to exist ever since people started moving to homes near an airport only to complain about the noise.
Bumped for everyone to read again. I'm sure the city of Austin, TX was made painfully aware of this before dropping their ban of drones last month. Don't just roll over and play dead, or go home and hide. Confront them. In a nice, but firm, way. Be respectful, but have your facts lined up and be ready to discuss the issue intelligently with the local government officials.

I agree with dronelaw's interpretation. No issue there. It does leave a significant gap (or overlap in areas where local legislation exists) that will likely need clarification from a higher court at some point in the not too distant future.

I think everyone would agree that I shouldn't be able to take off from my property and then go fly all over my neighbor's property 3ft above the ground filming his hot wife sunbathing. There are no FAA rules that specifically prevent this. It's the FAA's airspace and I took off from my property. Am I intruding on my neighbor's property? Yes. Am I invading his privacy? Yes.

Local authorities can and probably will cite privacy, nuisance and intrusion laws. And in the above example, that would make sense. But what about alternative scenarios:
  • I fly above my own property at 100ft and happen to record something in my neighbor's property and put it on Youtube.
  • I fly over my neighbor's property at 100ft, flying past it and over other properties but flying back over my neighbor's property multiple times.
  • What about the same at 50ft? What about 300ft?
  • How much time over my neighbor's property is too much?
  • How low is too low?
  • Does carrying a camera make a difference?
  • Is intent the only factor when it comes to privacy? If I accidentally record my neighbor's hot wife sunbathing topless and I upload it to youtube, should that be OK?
I can understand why local authorities want to nip this in the bud. The majority of their constituents probably don't like drones. I can also see this being case before the supreme court in the not too distant future.

I'm probably different from most here in that I would NEVER fly in my neighborhood. I fly at the park, out at the lakes, in the country and sometimes near downtown, where it's less busy if possible. I've never even "thought" about flying in a residential neighborhood. I wouldn't like it if someone else was doing it, so I don't do it.

Reactions: sftceo
I'm probably different from most here in that I would NEVER fly in my neighborhood. I fly at the park, out at the lakes, in the country and sometimes near downtown, where it's less busy if possible. I've never even "thought" about flying in a residential neighborhood. I wouldn't like it if someone else was doing it, so I don't do it.

This was my original thinking as well. However if it's basically illegal to take off or land at local parks, lakes, or pretty much anywhere in my area except from my own property that might change things.

I agree with dronelaw's interpretation. No issue there. It does leave a significant gap (or overlap in areas where local legislation exists) that will likely need clarification from a higher court at some point in the not too distant future.

I think everyone would agree that I shouldn't be able to take off from my property and then go fly all over my neighbor's property 3ft above the ground filming his hot wife sunbathing. There are no FAA rules that specifically prevent this. It's the FAA's airspace and I took off from my property. Am I intruding on my neighbor's property? Yes. Am I invading his privacy? Yes.

Local authorities can and probably will cite privacy, nuisance and intrusion laws. And in the above example, that would make sense. But what about alternative scenarios:
  • I fly above my own property at 100ft and happen to record something in my neighbor's property and put it on Youtube.
  • I fly over my neighbor's property at 100ft, flying past it and over other properties but flying back over my neighbor's property multiple times.
  • What about the same at 50ft? What about 300ft?
  • How much time over my neighbor's property is too much?
  • How low is too low?
  • Does carrying a camera make a difference?
  • Is intent the only factor when it comes to privacy? If I accidentally record my neighbor's hot wife sunbathing topless and I upload it to youtube, should that be OK?
I can understand why local authorities want to nip this in the bud. The majority of their constituents probably don't like drones. I can also see this being case before the supreme court in the not too distant future.
Keep in mind that they can issue citations for things like this... they just cannot regulate airspace. This means that they cannot make laws to govern the airspace. If privacy laws were broken than they could still cite the person controlling the drone from the property that they are in charge of. They just can't regulate things in the air.

Anyone's house near those parks? Anyone live next to those lakes? Does no one own a building downtown? You get my point.

As long as you have no intent to focus on someone's home (flying right next to it for extended periods of time, flying low just near that home, etc) then it's not an invasion of privacy.

Remember when cell phones got cameras and everyone freaked about up the skirt photos and people taking their photos in public? Turns out, not really a big issue. Certainly not enough to ban the use of these phones in public. Same things with drones. Drones can even save lives, time and expenses. They open the door for additional commerce.

Reactions: rrmccabe
^ Agree

I don't get it. I live here. I own it for 30 years plus. this is my yard and house

why would I not step out into middle of my drive , power up and take off and enjoy. what is to fear?

at least 5 of my neighbors have stopped by WHILE I was flying to ask about and say how neet it was the last few months.
One tonight stopped tonight and asked me to fly over his house and pool for him.. sent him pics and video.

folks quit acting like you are committing a crime when flying, and have fun, if confronted deal with situation as needed.

the more we ask permission and or don't question overstepping authority, the more we cower and give in to every complaint the more they will regulate and control us.

don't break the law but also don't let the law fool you!

learn and know your rights , while this is not the same free country of my youth it still allows us some fight and rights for now!

It's not that I "fear" anything. I don't do it solely out of consideration and respect for my neighbors. This thing is L O U D!! And you'll almost always "have to" fly over their homes to get anywhere. Again, this is just "me". I'm not imposing my will or thoughts on any of you. Do whatever you want to do. A question was asked, and I answered with "my" preferences. You'll find by my posts around the forum that I'm the LAST one that runs and hides and worries about the idiot flyers making us look bad. It's just that in this particular situation, "my" preference is to not do it. That doesn't mean that I'm saying the rest of you shouldn't, if that's what you want to do.

I don't get it. I live here. I own it for 30 years plus. this is my yard and house

why would I not step out into middle of my drive , power up and take off and enjoy. what is to fear?

at least 5 of my neighbors have stopped by WHILE I was flying to ask about and say how neet it was the last few months.
One tonight stopped tonight and asked me to fly over his house and pool for him.. sent him pics and video.

folks quit acting like you are committing a crime when flying, and have fun, if confronted deal with situation as needed.

the more we ask permission and or don't question overstepping authority, the more we cower and give in to every complaint the more they will regulate and control us.

don't break the law but also don't let the law fool you!

It's not that I "fear" anything. I don't do it solely out of consideration and respect for my neighbors. This thing is L O U D!! And you'll almost always "have to" fly over their homes to get anywhere. Again, this is just "me". I'm not imposing my will or thoughts on any of you. Do whatever you want to do. A question was asked, and I answered with "my" preferences. You'll find by my posts around the forum that I'm the LAST one that runs and hides and worries about the idiot flyers making us look bad. It's just that in this particular situation, "my" preference is to not do it. That doesn't mean that I'm saying the rest of you shouldn't, if that's what you want to do.

yep loud is right esp at low levels

I get it up and out over the woods and farms for most part,

but in an area filled with quad runners and dirt bikes and lawn mowers , weed wackers , chain saws, power washers etc from 7 am on ,,, I cant worry too much about my 2 or 3 minutes of bee buzzing.

have fun flying wherever you do it!
don't over think it is all I am thinking!

have fun flying wherever you do it!

Reactions: snerd
Man ole man. Why do I get into hobbies? My other hobby is metal detecting. The prudes are after that hobby to. I was thinking this hobby could help further the detectorist hobby as I could get some real time ariel research. Now ill have goons swarming in for both violations

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic