Flying around sailboats

Excellent video, beautiful boat too! One of the big reason's I got a Phantom a few months ago is to take sailing videos this summer. Do you have any tips or lessons learned that are unique to flying from boats? I have a Phantom v1.1.1 with the Zenmuse Gimbal and FPV with a 7" LCD. I have been practicing flying this winter, but I'm sure it will be a whole new ballgame flying from a moving platform. :)

Paladin27 said:
Excellent video, beautiful boat too! One of the big reason's I got a Phantom a few months ago is to take sailing videos this summer. Do you have any tips or lessons learned that are unique to flying from boats? I have a Phantom v1.1.1 with the Zenmuse Gimbal and FPV with a 7" LCD. I have been practicing flying this winter, but I'm sure it will be a whole new ballgame flying from a moving platform. :)

I use the skyzone goggles with spironet and avl58 tx. I can concentrate fully on flying once I take off, I have a 7 inch black pearl too but wouldnt want to use it for this. The key is to not take off in GPS mode, if you do and the boat is moving it will hold its position relative and run into something. So just remember, no gps for takeoff or landing. Once in the air I stay in att unless I need it to hover against the wind in close proximity. Also, never use return to home unless you want it landing in the drink.

Because the skyzones have diversity I am going to pick up the Parasitic Helix as I tend to lose video more then I want. Also, going to replace the tx antenna with a longer one to make sure it points down, the current one that came with the avl58 is so short that it is blocked by half the aircraft and creates deadspots when turning. I have been over 1100 with the current setup but feel it will work much better with the upgrades.

Great Video!

How much wind was there during this shoot? (What is the max wind you fly the P2 in?)

I am shocked that you flew so close to the mast on a windy day and didn't encounter any problems!

Big Thumbs up from me!

Still looking to see how I can attach a 'Water Bouy' to my Phantom. As sure as good made little green apples accidents happen and I bet a Phantom sinks pretty fast.

PVD aerial said:
Great Video!

How much wind was there during this shoot? (What is the max wind you fly the P2 in?)

I am shocked that you flew so close to the mast on a windy day and didn't encounter any problems!

When sailing downwind the apparent wind is much less then it would be if you were standing still. I like to takeoff and land while going downwind so it doesnt have to fight the wind immediately. You can get as close as you want to things but just be careful around moving objects.
Wind speeds were under 10kts

Fair Game said:
Big Thumbs up from me!

Still looking to see how I can attach a 'Water Bouy' to my Phantom. As sure as good made little green apples accidents happen and I bet a Phantom sinks pretty fast.

Just dont crash it! salt water will destroy it permanently.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers