Flying around downtown San Diego

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm traveling to San Diego this weekend and wanted to fly the P3 to get great ocean, skyline shots. Has anyone flown in the downtown area? What limitations does the San Diego airport and the Naval base on Coronado Island affect its flying experience. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Between the airport and multiple heliports, not to mention the Naval base a big portion of San Diego is NFZ. Check FAA Maps or B4UFLY APP.

Reactions: Falcon900
Hello everyone, I'm traveling to San Diego this weekend and wanted to fly the P3 to get great ocean, skyline shots. Has anyone flown in the downtown area? What limitations does the San Diego airport and the Naval base on Coronado Island affect its flying experience. Thanks for any input.

Funny that you just posted. I was just watching a video of San Diego made with a Phantom 3. It may give you some ideas, though I'm not sure if everything in the video is "legal" or not.

don't look at b4ufly app it sucks get uav forcast its lot better the other one will show you cant fly anywhere

Funny that you just posted. I was just watching a video of San Diego made with a Phantom 3. It may give you some ideas, though I'm not sure if everything in the video is "legal" or not.

That video is almost in direct flight path of military aircraft pretty much all of San Diego is a NFZ. Head east and fly in the desert.

7bcbbaf3e57bbe8089ee86296778b34e.jpg

Pretty sad by this picture

look at uav forcast app and look at there no fly zones

don't look at b4ufly app it sucks get uav forcast its lot better the other one will show you cant fly anywhere
I just checked out the UAV Forecast, which is pretty cool as compared to the B4UFly. However, it does not show the LAPD downtown helipad as a NFZ. One guy recently got arrested for flying near there.

Although maybe it was more the case the Ghetto Bird said he had to do evasive manuevers.

That video, if legal, was probably (hopefully was) shot with an FAA 333 exemption cert. I don't qualify for one of those -- do you?

That video, if legal, was probably (hopefully was) shot with an FAA 333 exemption cert. I don't qualify for one of those -- do you?
I don't have one, but I'm sure I'd qualify if I applied for one. I'm sure you would qualify as well.

I guess I need to learn some more about it -- I was under the impression that you had be accredited at a higher level, like having a pilot's license. Can you point me to an FAQ or Cert 333 101 for dummies?

I guess I need to learn some more about it -- I was under the impression that you had be accredited at a higher level, like having a pilot's license. Can you point me to an FAQ or Cert 333 101 for dummies?

Basically you need the following to use your drone commercially:
  1. a Section 333 grant of exemption,
  2. a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA),
  3. an aircraft registered with the FAA, and
  4. a pilot with an FAA airman certificate
Note that you personally dont need to be a pilot to apply for and get an exemption, but they will want one to be operating the drone.

Also, they are working to make the whole process much easier. Hopefully that will be very soon.

Last edited:

The video is nice. There r a lot of no nos In that video. I remember reading one article about a guy who posted an ad in Craigslist for his drone services. Got a notice from the FAA about it. Another one posted a video on YouTube and heard from the FAA about that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically you need the following to use your drone commercially:
  1. a Section 333 grant of exemption,
  2. a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA),
  3. an aircraft registered with the FAA, and
  4. a pilot with an FAA airman certificate
Note that you personally dont need to be a pilot to apply for and get an exemption, but they will want one to be operatong the drone.

Also, they are working to make the whole process much easier. Hopefully that will be very soon.

Thanks Oso, I will look into what it takes to get the FAA Airman cert first.

Cheers,
Speck

Reactions: Oso
I was driving out of SanDiego on the 8 toward Arizona and saw some beautiful countryside before you get to the desert. Many places to fly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I live here and would never fly downtown without accepting the possibility of the consequences. It is a no fly zone due to military and commercial aircraft and sensitive areas.

Not telling you not to, it's a free country, just do it at your own risk.

Watch out for miramar marine corps base and the navy airfield down in imperial beach. I believe these all have 5 mile radius with a NFZ

Much of an EAST/WEST area centering on KSAN is Class B surface to 10000'. Some of the balance is North Island naval and from 2800 to 10000'.

Depends on where you are flying.

The video is nice. There r a lot of no nos In that video. I remember reading one article about a guy who posted an ad in Craigslist for his drone services. Got a notice from the FAA about it. Another one posted a video on YouTube and heard from the FAA about that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have two members on this list that have been contacted by the FAA in the past week.
The first was contacted via phone with a letter that followed for his Youtube videos.
The other member was just contacted today via Facebook for videos he had posted there. He was asked to call a number, and doing a reverse look up on the number, it is an actual FAA number (for those who might think he was trolled by a fellow FB member).
Sounds like the FAA is watching in several places.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues