Flying around a high rise ?

Reaction score
I work at a high rise from time to time in down town Los Angeles and know the owner and staff along with security. I want to fly an orbit mission and they can't give me permission due to legal stuff but said " if we don't see it " or no body calls the police then do it. I respect them and would hate to cause issues. Anyone here ever fly around buildings? Any advice on whether to fly or not? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 642
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 609
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 648
We fly around buildings often for our Commercial work. It's not hard but you MUST take into account any worse case scenarios (look all the way to the ground). You don't want to be "that guy" should something malfunction. We usually block off the areas below if possible but keep in mind I'm talking from a commercial view point.

It's all about risk assessment and deciding if the REWARD is worth the risk. If you decide you want to do it try and do it with the least amount of people around and under the best possible conditions.

Reactions: Lifted Chevy
This might be an example of what you are talking about - video done by one of our members. Jump ahead to the 6 min mark

This might be an example of what you are talking about - video done by one of our members. Jump ahead to the 6 min mark

yes that's it ! I want use Litchi and orbit nose in around the building.

As a side note this is in a TFR- NOTAM area. Thanks BIGA and Mark !

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Here it is on Litchi. The building is 400ft tall and has a heli pad but I'm sure the concrete has steel.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 582

How did this guy fly around a building without getting disconnected?

TFR - Temporary Flight Restrictions! That means 'no flying in this area'. You would have to read the Notam to know just what the restrictions are and when (both dates and times) that they are in effect. May not affect Drone flights because of the height structure (don't assume that though), but you need to read the Notice. Violating a TFR could cause some serious consequences. For instance, if one of the presidential candidates are going to b in the area, violating the TFR could get not just the FAA on your cars, but the Secret Servies too!!

Sorry, last post should read 'on your case...', not 'on your car'

It looked to me like on the video Follow the Leader they got busted there at the end. You could see flashing lights in the windshield. And I would also like to know how they flew so far around everywhere without losing signal.

Sent from my LG-H810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

It looked to me like on the video Follow the Leader they got busted there at the end. You could see flashing lights in the windshield. And I would also like to know how they flew so far around everywhere without losing signal.

You gotta read the comments,that was a security guard that was a friend of his.
He says it was planned missions with litchi app and this is his answer to your other question:
" With Litchi the missions continues even if RC signal is lost. Rapid yellow indicates RC contact has been lost. The slow red pulses you see a few times a few minutes in are an NFZ Proximity Alert for a pair of stadiums off to the west a few blocks."

Also, your max agl needs to be watched given the height of the buildings:
And that location is roughly 7,700ft from the main LAPD Hooper Heliport.

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel and Suites is a 367-foot (112 m), 35-story hotel in Los Angeles, California, constructed between 1974 and 1976. Designed by architect John C. Portman, Jr., it is the largest hotel in the city. The top floor has arevolving restaurant and bar. It was originally owned by investors that included a subsidiary of Japanese conglomerateMitsubishi Corporation and John Portman & Associates. The building is managed by Interstate Hotels & Resorts (IHR), and is valued at US$200 million.

LAPD Hooper Heliport (FAA LID: 4CA0) is a city-owned private-use heliport located one nautical mile (2 km) northeast of the central business district of Los Angeles, in Los Angeles County, California, United States. Hooper Heliport is located on the roof of the Piper Technical Center, the world's largest rooftop airport. It is centrally located between Los Angeles Union Station, Chinatown, and Downtown. It is home to the Los Angeles Police Department's Air Support Division which is the largest police aviation unit in America with 19 helicopters.

Reactions: Lifted Chevy

You need to read the story as well as look at the pictures. The security guard was a curious observer and the mission flew, for the most part, LCMC in litchi.

After much debate I'm not going to fly this building. Way too risky for the area, lots of people everywhere. I'd hate to lose my p3p or freedom not to mention the hotel may ban me from working for them. Thanks for all the advice !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik