Flying above 400ft is a little scary and pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Military low flying is used to train military aircrew. Low flying by military aircraft is carried out across all of the UK.

Low flying means:

• fixed-wing aircraft flying down to 250 feet from the ground
  • rotary-wing aircraft (eg helicopters) flying down to 100 feet from the ground
Rotary-wing aircraft can also be authorised to go lower than 100 feet from the ground.

Low flying isn’t usually allowed in areas around airports, or towns and cities with populations of more than 10,000.

The UK is divided into 20 separate low flying areas (LFAs).

Three of these areas are also known as Tactical Training Areas (TTAs). These are in:

• central Wales
  • northern Scotland
  • the borders area of southern Scotland and northern England
Fixed-wing aircraft can fly as low as 100 feet in TTAs, although larger aircraft such as the C-130 Hercules are only permitted to fly as low as 150 feet.
In America we call those Military Operating Areas (MOAs) and they have to follow the same rules over the populated areas. Which isn't 100ft at 650 mph. I'm calling that one a big steamy pile of bull ****.

In America we call those Military Operating Areas (MOAs) and they have to follow the same rules over the populated areas. Which isn't 100ft at 650 mph. I'm calling that one a big steamy pile of bull ****.

Still bull ****?
I seen such jets on almost a daily basis.

Some very iconic aircraft in that footage but no drones, stupid place to pitch a tent, wonder what the CAA would have to say about that!!!

Some very iconic aircraft in that footage but no drones, stupid place to pitch a tent, wonder what the CAA would have to say about that!!!
I imagine its only a matter of time before an incident with a drone, if it can happen it normally does at some point,
In my early days flying this part of the uk was my favourite, i used to drive from nuneaton a few times a week to fly there alone,
I remember well one day i drove that distance then carried up 70kg of glider and equipment for one hour,
After rigging up, mounting instruments and maps,my heart thumping up the back of my head from fear-andrenalin, glider balanced poised to take a run i heard a jet! no idea from where it was coming and no visual i waited, only to see it pass 200ft under my 400ft take off, that was it..i just packed up and went home,

As for the tents, strange lot those plane spotters.

Last edited:
I can't even see 400 feet, why would I ever go there. I think the highest I have gone is 200 feet and I wet my pants doing it.
Lol u need glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Having grown up in a military family and having a dad as an air force fighter squadron commander, I've heard plenty of stories about fighters having to pull up for trees and even cacti.

He's retired now, so the stories are from a different era where things were a lot more lax I imagine, but I'm sure it still happens..

It might not be 100', but then again it might... You don't live there, and given my experience, you can't, with any authority call b.s. On his claim.

It's quite ironic, that the people who are crying about freedoms and being able to do whatever they want with their uas, are the same people being defiant with the faa's recommendations, bend and break the rules and in turn, force the faa to impose harsher, more restrictive recommendations and laws.

Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot...

My opinion for the future.
(Very brief, general, non-comprehensive list, obviously)
1. Make ADS-B and N numbers mandatory for SUAS.
2. Revise the minimum weight for SUAS
3. Require a sport pilots license for anyone operating a SUAS

I guess a major problem with that would be that you would also need a radio to be able to talk to ATC and get a squawk code and be able to talk to other aircraft.

Sound expensive? Yup, but it could be in our future. It just depends what idiot does what next.

I worry about losing the possibility to use this amazing camera platform as intended, being very new to this hobby i came on this forum for the information and knowledge needed which it gave in abundance, i cringed somewhat on seeing images of phantoms punched up through cloud base along with the mental vision of some guy peering at a tablet or smart phone way below,
Initially i decided better not to comment but it occurred to me they had not informed themselves which other aircraft shared the same airspace both low and high altitude, maybe they have no interest but will be the first to complain when the freedom to use this amazing camera prospective is gone.

100% correct. I'm a private pilot and I know there isn't any military jet flying that low and fast. He's full of it.
Just Tom Cruise in Top Gun LOL

Reactions: DeputyDrone
Having grown up in a military family and having a dad as an air force fighter squadron commander, I've heard plenty of stories about fighters having to pull up for trees and even cacti.

He's retired now, so the stories are from a different era where things were a lot more lax I imagine, but I'm sure it still happens..

It might not be 100', but then again it might... You don't live there, and given my experience, you can't, with any authority call b.s. On his claim.

It's quite ironic, that the people who are crying about freedoms and being able to do whatever they want with their uas, are the same people being defiant with the faa's recommendations, bend and break the rules and in turn, force the faa to impose harsher, more restrictive recommendations and laws.

Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot...

My opinion for the future.
(Very brief, general, non-comprehensive list, obviously)
1. Make ADS-B and N numbers mandatory for SUAS.
2. Revise the minimum weight for SUAS
3. Require a sport pilots license for anyone operating a SUAS

I guess a major problem with that would be that you would also need a radio to be able to talk to ATC and get a squawk code and be able to talk to other aircraft.

Sound expensive? Yup, but it could be in our future. It just depends what idiot does what next.

Add mandatory insurance to the list. I saw a report about that on the news last night.

Is the reading in the box feet or meters? What is the max altitude I can go ? Just got my first drone. Phantom 3 4k

I fly general aviation Cessna 172s and never fly below 1000agl until I'm on base and final plus there's restrictions on how low you can fly any way and if you loose a engine your not gonna be cruising at 200 feet agl you ain't gonna find a good spot to land plus its illegal over residential all this is over the smucks that fly 1000 feet or higher if you want to go that high stop by your local airport and take a discovery flight

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The hard deck for this hop was 10,000. You knew it. You broke it and followed commander Heatherly after he lost sight and called no joy

Last edited:
Reactions: ianwood
The only place there should be height restrictions is near airports. Commercial aircraft(Airplanes, Jets etc) should not be flying below several thousand feet. If something fails there isn't enough glide path to avert a likely crash...And there are many every year.Pilots and innocent people on the ground DIE. With the popularity of Quads, perhaps the rules should accommodate both parties. If it's even possible, what the hell is gonna happen when these large retailers start unleashing Drones by the thousands. Hobbyists like us should be the least of the worries of the FAA and other agencies setting guidelines. Let us have some leeway and enjoy our hobby. We're really an almost non-existent threat when you really think it out. These discussions are turning into more of a battle between self righteous conformist and folks having a bit more realistic grasp of the situation. When's the last time a P3A or P3P crashed into a neighborhood and killed 10 or 20 people. Or hell, even struck an aircraft.
This post is a little confusing.

For airline operations, what you say is totally true. An airliner is not going to be anywhere near 400' except very close to touchdown, there are instrument approach procedures that could have a commercial jet below 1000' within 10 miles of the airport, but much closer before going that low is the norm. Other than that commercial airliners are likely to be up above 30,000'. A drone is the least of his worries.

But private aircraft are a different story. A 500' distance from any person or structure is required by law. So 400', if there are people and structures nearby, should provide 100' of separation. There aren't many light planes flying around at 500', but it's allowed, I've done it many time. It would take REALLY bad luck to encounter a drone even if it was flown above 500' though. EXCEPT when something of interest is happening on the ground. Light plane can flock around down near 500', where they become a hazard to themselves. A few P3's at 600' would not be cool.

Helicopters fly under different rules. They can come by very low and fast legally. 400' could even present very rare issues. Hitting a random helicopter medivac helicopter would be really bad luck. If you were below 400', you wouldn't go to prison though. FAA "advisories" are taken pretty seriously.

Low powered private aircraft may take longer than you think to get above 400' after takeoff, and may decend that low sooner (and stupidly) than you may think while landing.

Over sparsely and uninhabited areas, a private aircraft can go down to ground level. If you and your drone are out in the middle of no where, and he comes within 500' of you, he just became illegal. I'm not worried about such odd circumstances. It would be a freak accident.

Basically for airliner traffic, you are correct, but for lighter aircraft you are not.

Reactions: Heraldo
Anyone ever hover at 10ft and the GO App says 30+ feet or vice versa? Just saying that there barometer in the P3's aren't the most accurate devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20