Flying above 400ft is a little scary and pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it when people lean on the Constitution when they can't do whatever they want. Cry me a river!

Commercial aircraft(Airplanes, Jets etc) should not be flying below several thousand feet. If something fails there isn't enough glide path to avert a likely crash...And there are many every year.Pilots and innocent people on the ground DIE. With the popularity of Quads, perhaps the rules should accommodate both parties.

You're probably right but rule changes take time. There are implications that need to be factored in. There are also numerous exceptions regardless of separation rules: SAR, crop dusting, medi-vac, filming, etc. In reality, until there is an automated traffic system in place, we need to stay out of airspace that can be used by 1:1 scale aircraft.

Burp%20Random%20Words.jpg

Why do you assume we all drive drunk and go 80MPH every day?

Perhaps you could quit insulting us first.

Sent from MyOuthouse using ToiletPaper 2.1
[emoji22][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I can't even see 400 feet, why would I ever go there. I think the highest I have gone is 200 feet and I wet my pants doing it.

Reactions: Steve vaughan
You have a military base 25 miles away and planes fly 100' over your house at 600 mph? Really? I think you're full of **** my friend.

File a Low Flying Aircraft Complaint with the FAA

Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Thats why quadcopters, aka "drones", should be no higher than 400 Ft

Reactions: PJ Orlando
400 feet is no problem. Trust your screen rather than looking up for the phantom. I've been up way over a 1000 feet and it's no issue.

I get much more worried at 50 feet because you can hit a tree or something if your not careful.

I live 4.7 miles away from our airport, which isn't huge but is an international airport and delta regional jet hub. Lots of traffic from private/corporate jets and the University's Aviation program too.

Now that my P3 is properly registered and tagged, I figured now is a good time to start following the rule to notify the control Tower prior to flying.

So, I last night I found the airport's information email address and gave them the whole song and dance about FAA requirement to contact them if flying within 5 miles, that my UAS Is registered/marked properly, bla bla bla.. I expected to get a response from some lowly information clerk giving me a general number to a help desk or something.

To my surprise, the assistant director of airport operations just responded to me directly. He provided me with the direct number to the control tower, said they would be happy to assist me. Hell, the guy even thanked me "for reaching out and being a responsible UAS Pilot."

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I can't even see 400 feet, why would I ever go there. I think the highest I have gone is 200 feet and I wet my pants doing it.

Just broke 200ft today and boy I'm with you on the pant wetting and there's another 200ft to go jeez that's more than enough for anyone

Just broke 200ft today and boy I'm with you on the pant wetting and there's another 200ft to go jeez that's more than enough for anyone
Oh and I live 200metres above sea level for the record if that helps any it's the highest point for miles

You both will. Take it slow and easy at first learning the capabilities minimizing the fear of losing the P3. As your confidence grows, 400 feet AGL gives you the longest range from home and you will reach out. Smart to take baby steps at first. After a while, 400' will be old hat and you'll remember when you only went to 200' and smile.

I took the P3 to 400' on its maiden flight at night just to see what happens up there. It was directly above me, and I never realized how far back you have to lean to look "straight up". She says "Maximum Altitude Reached" in a lovely voice.

SD

You both will. Take it slow and easy at first learning the capabilities minimizing the fear of losing the P3. As your confidence grows, 400 feet AGL gives you the longest range from home and you will reach out. Smart to take baby steps at first. After a while, 400' will be old hat and you'll remember when you only went to 200' and smile.

I took the P3 to 400' on its maiden flight at night just to see what happens up there. It was directly above me, and I never realized how far back you have to lean to look "straight up". She says "Maximum Altitude Reached" in a lovely voice.

SD

This lovely voice I keep hearing (or not as the case here) it's in the app right oh and my iPad is turned up, I ain't never heard no voices yet hehe does it need turning on so to speak

This lovely voice I keep hearing (or not as the case here) it's in the app right oh and my iPad is turned up, I ain't never heard no voices yet hehe does it need turning on so to speak
Mine was active by default. I get a bunch of prompts from her. I am running an iPad Mini 4, with volume not quite maxed out.

"Home point set, please check it on the map"
"Take off"
"Maximum altitude reached"
"Go Home"
"Landing"

She really is quite lovely.

SD

Reactions: Ohmygod
File a Low Flying Aircraft Complaint with the FAA

Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Thats why quadcopters, aka "drones", should be no higher than 400 Ft
100% correct. I'm a private pilot and I know there isn't any military jet flying that low and fast. He's full of it.

Reactions: snowghost
I think a lot of UK residents would confirm military aircraft fly low altitude and high speed, maybe not over heavily populated areas,
When not in LOS when flying the phantom i personally feel irresponsible, mainly due to the lack of peripheral vision using only the camera view.

Military low flying is used to train military aircrew. Low flying by military aircraft is carried out across all of the UK.

Low flying means:

• fixed-wing aircraft flying down to 250 feet from the ground
  • rotary-wing aircraft (eg helicopters) flying down to 100 feet from the ground
Rotary-wing aircraft can also be authorised to go lower than 100 feet from the ground.

Low flying isn’t usually allowed in areas around airports, or towns and cities with populations of more than 10,000.

The UK is divided into 20 separate low flying areas (LFAs).

Three of these areas are also known as Tactical Training Areas (TTAs). These are in:

• central Wales
  • northern Scotland
  • the borders area of southern Scotland and northern England
Fixed-wing aircraft can fly as low as 100 feet in TTAs, although larger aircraft such as the C-130 Hercules are only permitted to fly as low as 150 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4