Flying A Drone Through Fireworks May Land You In Prison

sar104 said:
No, I don't think you did understand. My point was that the risk that you pointed out is already mitigated, because the protections already in place (for other reasons) are more than adequate to deal with it. Unconsidered scenarios only change the risk if they introduce hazards not already mitigated. This one doesn't.

Agreed. It's not a hard concept to understand. A phantom flying over an area of water cleared for controlled explosions (a.k.a. fireworks) is only going to endanger itself. Even in the very unlikely case the Phantom were damaged, crash landing on the fireworks platform and bursting into flames (improbable), there are going to be several people armed with fire suppression equipment to put it out instantly. They already have to be prepared for the much probable scenario of a mortar exploding prematurely and raining down burning material.

Cool but wreckless... Flying over people and putting your craft in danger around the public is pretty ballsy.
But I think every phantom owner thought about doing the same thing .... I did :shock:

Kelso Kubat said:
Cool but wreckless... Flying over people and putting your craft in danger around the public is pretty ballsy.
But I think every phantom owner thought about doing the same thing .... I did :shock:

He was obviously very lucky to come away wreckless. But when he was within the display hazard zone he was, presumably, not flying over people.

macheung said:
Responded to article with:
Model aviation is not just for fun and games. The hours of building, tinkering with electronics and radio equipment leading to a few minutes of flight provides invaluable inspiration for the next generation of scientist and engineers. These are the people who will continue to push the envelope of technology and help ensure this nation remains a leader in this field.
Let’s just enjoy the fireworks, from the ground and from the air.

You say this very well. I think positive experience and education will win the day for us quadcopter operators. We just need to be careful not to fall into risky behaviors that would cause our opportunities to be severely restricted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.