FlyBy question

Reaction score
We're going to get a Phantom 2 with 3D gimbal for our video company. I have a question that I haven't found on YouTube videos.
Say you're chasing a boat or a car and want to pass it.
But when you're passing, going straight, you want to look at the car as you go by.
Can this be done? It seems that the camera only looks in the direction of the drone so you wouldn't be able to fly "north" and
look "west" at the same time. ????
Thanks.

That's what Course Lock mode is for...the Phantom will fly along a straight course you set, but can be rotated etc while doing so. Kind of like an aerial dolly shot.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P6SSj0qTcM[/youtube]

Rotating around an object takes practice. It can be done. After finding the correct stick movements, I was even able to do it. :)

Hi. Not so much rotating around an object, but looking left at the subject as the camera moves along forwards. As thought there's dolly track to the right of the subject, following next to her as she walks.

rickmo said:
Hi. Not so much rotating around an object, but looking left at the subject as the camera moves along forwards. As thought there's dolly track to the right of the subject, following next to her as she walks.

This maneuver takes a combination of left stick (yaw) and right stick (cyclic) to accomplish. For instance... passing a moving car on the right... if you want to keep the camera on the car as you pass, move the left stick to the left (yaw left) to keep the car centered in the frame and simultaneously move the right stick from the forward position to the right (right bank). As you pass the car, your left stick needs to moved from the right position to the aft position. At the end of the maneuver you will essentially be flying backwards. It does take practice to master.

The Phantom can fly in any direction, not just forwards. It's really easy to fly sideways with the camera pointing at a subject that's also moving sideways. And of course it can rotate about its axis, so for example if you are flying alongside a moving boat and flying faster that it is moving, as you pass it you can rotate the phantom to look back at it, all the while flying sideways.

I think you are thinking the phantom is like a plane that can only move in the direction of its nose. It's not like that at all.

I've been working on that very thing and yes, it is possible to do it manually, changing orientation and flying direction simultaneously to keep the bird flying in a straight line while pointing at an object. However, Course Lock makes this much easier. Just ensure, when you get initial homelock, your bird is oriented squarely with the path you'll be flying. Then you can use straight stick for your flight path while being free to rotate your bird as needed to get the shot without changing the flight path.

Rick, have you read info about FPV? It's easier than you think when you can see the shot.

The CL (Course Lock) and HL (Home Lock) as everyone said will make the shot easier. I normally use HL more and you can rotate and still continue flying a straight line. Neither of these two modes are available when you receive the Phantom (but it's easy to select them in the Phantom Software).

As always there's a learning curve but even old guys can catch on. Read and watch video's.

rickmo said:
We're going to get a Phantom 2 with 3D gimbal for our video company. I have a question that I haven't found on YouTube videos.
Say you're chasing a boat or a car and want to pass it.
But when you're passing, going straight, you want to look at the car as you go by.
Can this be done? It seems that the camera only looks in the direction of the drone so you wouldn't be able to fly "north" and
look "west" at the same time. ????
Thanks.
A video is worth a thousand words [emoji3]

http://youtu.be/mPRq-ymJd5A

I want these skills so bad

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member